p3at rough on trigger finger

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jr2dogs, Sep 28, 2010.

1. jr2dogs

jr2dogs New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    I need some advice. I recently bought a p3at hard chrome. My local gun shop had the ruger lcp, kahr 380, and p3at. The ruger was prettier and the Kahr had a better trigger. I chose the kel tec p3at because the ruger is a shameless copy and the kahr was a bit expensive. I've only put one box of cheap ammo through the p3at so far, and I am very impressed with it. I did nothing but take from the box and start shooting. The pistol preformed flawlessly. At 7 yards I got 3" groups touching the bullseye. I have a kahr p45 that I'm not able to do that with. The only problem is that my trigger finger feels like it was whacked with a hammer. I won't be able to shoot it again for a week. This is a good shooter and very easy to carry. Call me a whimp if you must, but any suggestions on easing the pain would be appreciated. This is going to be my always carry and I would like to practice often. I like this pistol.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG.
    [​IMG]

3. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    There have been many reports of this problem. These are some of the "fixes" that have reportedly worked, and probably the order in which they should be tried.

1. Sand the trigger and the inside of the trigger guard smooth with fine #600 sandpaper.
    2. Hold the trigger back a bit longer after each shot. Giving time for the recoil to end before letting the trigger go forward.
    3. Hold the gun tight and maybe try a slip-on grip or stick-on appliques, and also magazine finger extensions so the gun doesn't flip in your hand.
    4. Use a Band-Aid on your finger at the range.
    5. Lengthen and widen the trigger a bit using a piece of shrink tubing over the trigger.
    6. Shorten the trigger a bit by sanding it.
    7. Add a trigger stop by gluing a piece of rubber to the trigger guard behind the trigger. Start thicker than necessary then sand it down until it's just right.

Bobo

4. Static

Static New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    I didn't have that problem, maybe a bit of a sore forearm (but then again, I'm kind of a smaller guy)
    So until then... make your hands look more like this?
    [​IMG]
    And don't go with the LCP, they're still figuring out what Kel-Tec already worked out. Welcome!
    (Just my humble opinion...)

5. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Shortening, rounding, and polishing the tip of the trigger worked for me.

Also, clean up the sharp mold seam that runs down the center of the trigger guard.

That, plus the sharp tigger tip pinched my finger every shot.

rc

6. jr2dogs

jr2dogs New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Thanks for all the good suggestions. The band aid works ok, and I am going to try the other ideas for a more permanent fix.

7. jboze

jboze New Member

Jan 15, 2005
    I love the heat shrink idea! I'm going to do that, and my trigger isn't even bothering me!

8. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Sirs, I have piece of surgical rubber tubing on mine, it buffers the jolt, and also helps with trigger travel a bit. It has been there three years and has never rolled, nor does it stick outside the profile of the trigger guard. Very happy with the results.

9. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Ditto on the tubing (stethascope tubing) with a dab of super glue to keep it on, has worked fine on both P3at and P32 for 3 yrs. Jim <><

10. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Yes, a stethoscope! You can snip it off and slip the tube back on the earpiece and it's still a good stethoscope, and now you have a fine trigger boot, cost 0.00! :D Makes such a difference I don't feel I need a grip extender or grip pad.