P3at rim lock??

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rocket56, Dec 12, 2008.

1. rocket56

rocket56 New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Is there a problem with rim lock in the .380 magazine? If not, why just the P32 cal?...........................................

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the 32ACP is a semi rimmed design where as the .380ACP is rimless.

the semi rimmed was the "first" auto matic cartrige design improvement. JMB wanted to head space on the semi rim, thus it had to have an OD larger than the case. At that time there was only one bullet shape and lenght, so the magazine was made to prevent round differtial movement

the next improvemnt was head spacing on the mouth, thus there was no longer a need for the semi rim. even though modern 32s now headspace on the mouth, the semi rim becomes the culprit for rim lock with the market providing multiple bullet ovguges and lenghts

3. JB

JB Guest

I have a P3AT but not a P32.  I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that it has something to do with the amount of 'extra' space in the .32 magazine when using .32 hollow points because of the length differences between .32 FMJ and .32 HP.  Maybe there isn't as much extra space, relatively speaking, with .380 hollow points vs. FMJ or maybe the .380 is simply enough larger than a .32 that the difference in lengths isn't as significant?

In fact, some P3ATs (like my first generation P3AT, for example) that had the original feed ramp design and haven't had a 'rampectomy' performed have the opposite problem with FMJ and HP ammo.  That problem is that the rounds are long enough, relative to the size of the P3AT, that when a round is fired the 'next up' round in the magazine gets its nose bashed into the bottom of the ramp, causing a crease in the nose (in the case of FMJs), called a 'smiley' or even a slight deformation of an HP.