P3AT Retention holster

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by DocV, Jan 29, 2009.

1. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    It is kind of strange that they just make it for the P3AT when many people pocket carry that model. That is a nice style of holster but I wouldn't buy one for my P3's.

CJ

2. JB

JB Guest

I've decided that I want one or two OWB holsters for my P3AT.  For me, pocket carry of the P3AT when it is the only firearm I am carrying (with my wide hands) presents problems getting to the weapon should I need it - especially when sitting down.  Pocket carry is fine when the P3AT is in BUG mode.

I am not, however, sure I would want a holster like this for the P3AT as, with its small size, etc. I would be concerned that trying to activate the 'quick release retention lever' in a high stress situation would slow me down as much as pocket carry.  I would have a similar concern with the P11.  This might be a nice feature on a holster for a duty-sized weapon but for more compact, personal defense weapons I am just not so sure. I think I would rather stick with thumb breaks or even just the molded fit of the holster for retention.  Just my $0.02, adjusted for inflation.

3. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Hey Doc, Have you considered a Fobus for your P11? It has good retention but no extra mag pouch like the itacdefense has.

4. aSplinteredCell

aSplinteredCell New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I carry the P3AT as my off duty carry weapon (I'm a municipal cop near Birmingham, Alabama). I use the little clip right now and carry it inside the waist band in the small of my back. How large of a profile does this holster have? I would like to have a different way of carrying, but still need concealability.

Is it working on the same principle as the Blackhawk! Serpa holster?

Ciao,

J

5. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    That is an intriguing little holster. Like others I feel it's a little overkill for the P3AT but all in all it's a nice design.