p3at,recomendation

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by cookieruffruff, May 11, 2009.

1. cookieruffruff

cookieruffruff New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    i may have made a booboo today,at one of the local gs i was looking at a ruger mk1,when another man,gf were looking for hd the 'counter person' as i dont think they knew much about guns.recomended a sig mosquito.while a nice gun it's hardly for s/d i recomended a .410, or ah yes of course a [p3at] which i have one right here ,not for sale but get the g/s to order one. i showdedmy glassers, and said that would be better than a mosquito,[they name them because they bug you ,just like the insects] ftf fte etc picky on ammo. the g/s worker,did'nt agree .22 is all you need for h/d darn i'm glad my life is worth more than a .22. p.s. both the m/w both looked like a p3at or .410 would be no prob. after i was asked to leave ,outside the m/w said thank's and they'll look for a p3at,.410 as well

anyone else ever run into this or should i've kept my big mouth shut?????????? :D ;D

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Just my opinion, ya should have kept shut. YOUR not the salesman, you interfered in his sale. I'd have thrown you out on your ear.

If you want to sell a gun, buy your own gunshop.

3. ChasF

ChasF Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yes, I've been involved in similar situations. There is nothing wrong offering a differing opinion so that the prospective buyer can make an informed selection. In my experience, as long as it is done in a manner that is not derogatory or combative, it is usually received well. As an added bonus a conversation can erupt between all parties, and usually I'll learn something.

So, nothing wrong with speaking up.

4. copterdrvr

copterdrvr New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I went to a gunshow and a scumbag who had a table tried to sell a woman who knew absolutely nothing about guns a Walther PPK. He was telling her a total pile of crap about what she needed. She told him twice she never had even shot a handgun. When she walked away from the table I couldn't help myself but I told her that the last thing she needed was a semi-auto. She asked me a bunch of questions and I told her she should purchase a revolver.

She asked for my advice and I took her to a DIFFERENT dealer and helped her pick out a nice little Taurus 38 special +P and told her to go take some lessons which she promised she would do. That first dealer was a total Ahole and a liar and I would have had no problem whatsoever telling him if he had been stupid enough to challenge me. He straight out lied to that woman who didn't know crap from apple butter about guns.

Copterdrvr

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    If asked, I tell. If not, I keep my mouth shut until I'm outside. I would never do that at my LGS. I respect the guy too much. Of course, I refuse to shop at Gun shops where idiots work. I have my standards and I won't compromise them. ;)

6. c0wbois_girl

c0wbois_girl New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Personally I don't speak up about these sort of things. If the buyer were someone I knew, I might say something to them, but doubtful I'd do it in the store like that. But that's not to say it's a huge nono. It really depends on if you want to put yourself out there like that, and feel you can do so in a tactful way. And I definitely have some strong options about which guns I like and don't etc... I just tend to keep my own counsel. Besides, I know that what's right for me, or generally, in my opinion, isn't always what's going to work for someone else.

And thank you very much, this lady picked out her own semi-auto as her first hand gun (Taurus Millenium Pro- 9mm) having very little hand gun knowledge and has always been quite happy with it- revolvers are great and all, but I wouldn't say your first gun HAS to be one. ::)

7. zakmatthews

zakmatthews New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    I only speak up if I overhear someone obviously being taken advantage of or blatantly lied to. This has only happened a few times, and it was always at a gun show. I have no respect for arse holes in the gun business. I'd rather they get ****ed at me for ruining their sale than see a soccer mom spend $100 too much on a crap gun.

8. cookieruffruff

cookieruffruff New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    +1 to everyone thanks,I normally do not go to this shop at all ....but they had .380 ammo................. the m/w did go back to g/s and purchased a .9mm sig so g/s guy still made a sale. he just thinks a .22 is a cureall......... YES i will keep my mouth shut untill outside seeech ;D

9. TNS0038

TNS0038 Guest

It’s hard not to speak your mind in such situations, but I trend to keep opinions to myself, when I’m in gun store.

10. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    "I only speak up if I overhear someone obviously being taken advantage of or blatantly lied to"

1+ on that one.

and, yes, IMO selling a 22lr pistol (that probably had been laying under the counter for too long) as only HD weapon qualifies as such a situation.