Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after getting my slide back from Kel-Tec I finally got around to test firing the P3AT. This is the gun I had to send the slide in for peening before I even shot it. The only things I did after getting the the new slide was putting in the washer,putting blue loc-tite on the extractor bolt and the pin areas and polished the feedramp, nothing else except for cleaning and oiling.I put a Bersa type finger extension on each mag which did help in the grip area

Over 200 rounds were put through it,1 type of ammo was 95gr Magtech FMC and the other was 95gr Remignton FMJ. Every single round fed,ejected and fired out of 3 different magazines,2 that came with the gun and 1 that was bought directly from Kel-Tec.

It took one magazine to get the right point of aim for it but afterwards I was hitting all inside the chest area of a standard silhouette.

I am very pleased with my P3AT, I would suggest the washer to anyone with peening issues or if you just want to avoid it. Kel-Tec has once again added another happy customer.

After the range and inspection there is no peening and nothing came loose or shifted in any way.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Don't you just love it when stuff works  8). Now you'll have to think of all the improvents you can make to this wonderful new gizmo. As much fun as tweeking is, I might recommend getting some tactical practice exercises in there somewhere.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nakanokalronin said:
I had to only slightly taper the washer. The slide that was returned to me still seemed slightly thin so I just put the washer in anyhow. It worked and I'll definalty not shoot it without it.
How many rounds do you think that washer will last? It seems it may be worthwhile to have a machineist build up that area in the slide and ream it instead.... just a thought.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I always put grease at that point of contact. Since the spring is much harder material than the slide, it will always eventually dig in - unless it is prevented from getting a grip. No idea if grease will work as well as a washer - it's just a lot easier than the washer approach.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
wheelguy said:
I always put grease at that point of contact. Since the spring is much harder material than the slide, it will always eventually dig in - unless it is prevented from getting a grip. No idea if grease will work as well as a washer - it's just a lot easier than the washer approach.
Me thinks you have missed the point of the washer. It is to spread the load of the spring up and away from the single point of contact where the springs hit. It has nothing to do with "digging in" and no grease in the world is going to do that???

Even if it did, you can somehow get grease in there everytime you clean or put in a washer once. Easier?

-Scott

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
I don't think we have yet seen a washer wear out, nor the slide it was protecting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.