Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post on this site, I just registered yesterday. I have posted similar questions on other related sites before.

I am trying to be very happy with my HXJxx series P3at. I have approx 250 trouble-free rounds through it, and its accuracy has been acceptable at bad-breath range. Recoil is no big deal.

I am, however, worried about all the reported problems happening to low round count guns. Problems that should not be happening at all, or should be limited to high-use guns seem to be cropping up in guns with less than 1000 rounds through them. That's not a lot of rounds...barely enough to ensure reliability with carry ammo, establish point of aim-point of impact and gain familiarity.

I am very worried about the current peening issue. If it was truly limited to just a few slides, or if KT had really fixed the problem - ok. However, it seems to be far more widespread than a simple bad batch of slides, and KT does not seem to be on top of a fix and distribution of corrected slides.

I saw a hard chrome J7xxx gun I wanted to buy yesterday, but I am holding off for fear of a bad slide.

No other gun is as small or portable as the P3at, but its very roll in self-defense requires greater QC at the factory.

I was wondering if the 2G P32 had the same slide peening issues as does the P3at, and if not, why not? The P3at is the more popular, therefore one would think KT could retool production to use whatever bar stock and equipment currently producing P32 slides and make better P3at slides.

Anyway, I really want my P3at to be my go to small gun, but I am starting to get concerned. Hopefully, you all can give me some good ideas or advise. Thanks.

moonshot

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
If your gun's slide is going to peen, there will be definite warning signs:

1. Examine the depth of the recoil catch hole. Is it taper bored to a very thin edge?
2. Are there any visible peening marks AROUND the front of that hole?
3. When the gun is assembled, can you see any part of the spring through that hole?

If you have none of these symptoms, then you can rely on it. If you have only minor manifestations of these symptoms, then to preserve reliability you should limit firing to a minimum.

Packer.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I suspect you should avoid that Hard Chrome P-3AT. Now what was the price, the name of the shop and do they have an email address :)

Seriously, I don’t think anyone should buy a weapon that they think might have a problem especially it they don’t intend to observe it during break-in. Ever reported incident of peening I have heard of was observable before the pistol malfunctioned. If you don’t want to risk the hassle of returning your P-3AT for warranty work, wait another six month until all the bad slides have worked their way through the retail system as Kel-Tec says current production is fine.

Wilson – who’s not so hartless as to buy another mans Hard Chrome P-3AT ;D

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Two Pistol Packer said:
  If your gun's slide is going to peen, there will be definite warning signs:
2. Are there any visible peening marks AROUND the front of that hole?
This might just be a bit extreme? Based on my P3s, I think 'some' marks around the outside is normal as that area hardens and the guiderod continues to wear on the edges of the hole. It seems that some of the "okay" ones wear to a certain point and stay there. But then I have JFB washers in all of mine and don't worry about any of that peening stuff.

-Scott

·
Registered
996 Posts
moonshot said:
I am very worried about the current peening issue.
Lets put this into perspective. Less then 20 serial numbers for peening have been posted. In 2005 Kel-Tec manufactured almost 40,000 P3ATs.

If you are very worried about it, then pay for the washers untill Kel-tec starts sending out good slides.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
+1+

It is SO easy to get a distorted view of problems in any internet group (not meaning to discount the actual problems but it is NOT every gun!) If you are not already, whatever you do DO NOT get on an internet list about your vehicles or they will never run right again. :)

-Scott

G

·
Sorry for shameless plug.

Seriously moonshoot, I would not worry about the peening issue if you do not have it.

Check the threads here for the pictures etc. and you will know that the "problem" does not lead to failure in one outing. If you are watching for it, the "problem" becomes evident long before it is a problem.

I was still shooting mine after it looked like this:

... and it was still functioning as designed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info. My guide rod hole does not look anything like Nu_Agin_Shooter's, but it may be starting. If I can find a digital camera, I'll try and post a photo.

So far my P3at's been fine, but I don't want to have to baby it, waiting for the time when KT has all good slides. The way things have been going lately, that could be forever. I need to be able to practice with it. Shooting skills are use them or loose them.

I don't know if I should take the chance and buy a gray/chrome P3at with a late serial # (maybe wait for K?) or give up (at least for now) and buy a Kahr PM9. Trouble is, they have issues too.

Please keep the opinions and advise coming. Thanks.

moonshot

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
moonshot said:
So far my P3at's been fine, but I don't want to have to baby it, waiting for the time when KT has all good slides.
Put a washer in it and shoot it like you stole it. Simple, effective and keeps you going until YOU decide its time to let it peen if its going to.

-Scott

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Leave it alone and shoot it as normal. Kel-tec HAS already corrected the problem. My opinion is that you are looking for something to worry about. Relax.... clean, lube, shoot, repeat. And remember, this is NOT a range gun or target pistol anyway. Once reliable and broken in (yours is) you should really only shoot a few mags each month anyway, IMO. If you want to shoot a lot, get a bigger, heavier gun. Surely a P3AT is not your only gun? If so... that's your biggest problem. :-/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, my P3at is not my only gun, but I would like to be able to shoot it often enough to gain precision skill.

The P3at is great at what it does, but shot placement is the single most important factor in "stopping power", and when one is using perhaps the least effective self-defense caliber - .380acp - shot placement becomes critical.

While P3at accuracy at bad breath range is acceptable, what happens if the need to fire in self-defense requires a longer range shot, or what happens if the need is for a surgical hostage rescue shot? While these scenarios are unlikely, needing a firearm at all is unlikely. We have firearms for the chance the unlikely happens.

Shooting skill is a use it or loose it skill. One needs to practice. Frequently.

.380acp ammo is expensive, nearly twice what my 9mm costs for practice ammo, but I can justify several thousand rounds a year for training.

Unfortunately, I have a lingering fear my P3at will not survive that kind of use.

For this reason, and for others, I was going to buy additional P3's. One for training and one for carry. Now the slide peening issue has kept me from that step.

So, back to my original questions...

Any opinions on waiting for a later serial # P3 (Kxxxx or later?).

Has the P32 experienced the same slide peening issue?

What is the status on the P9? Are they at the carry and trust level yet? Can they withstand several thousand rounds before major parts breakage?

A big advantage to the Keltec is cost. I can afford to buy several, but not if they keep finding new ways to break.

Thanks.

moonshot

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
moonshot said:
While P3at accuracy at bad breath range is acceptable, what happens if the need to fire in self-defense requires a longer range shot, or what happens if the need is for a surgical hostage rescue shot? While these scenarios are unlikely, needing a firearm at all is unlikely. We have firearms for the chance the unlikely happens.

moonshot
IMO if you are past 5 yards it is no longer self defense. You have other options. As for "a surgical hostage rescue shot"...the P3 is the wrong gun for that job.

Just my opinion.

As for your question get another P3 for the range and deal with the problems as and IF they occur.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
You can't beat a P3AT for concealability and Kel-Tec will repair it no matter WHAT problems it might have. Get 3--They don't cost much.

I don't think anyone has shot several thousand rounds through a late model PF9 yet so we don't yet know about that.

Packer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used the break in rounds (about 300) to get my aim and feel for the gun. IMO this is great point and shoot out to 7 yards gun, and not too bad for aim grouping. I find for my own practice to shoot two mags at each range trip (normally twice a month), this keeps fresh ammo in my carry mag and I can keep the “feel” without undue wear on the gun and expense of the ammo. My target guns are 9mm and get used to satisfy my need to punch a lot of holes in paper.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.