P3AT questions from a new owner as of tomorrow

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by evi1joe, Sep 22, 2007.

1. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Hey,
    I'm getting a P3AT, BUT I have a few questions:
    1) I can see the "newer" model has that funky extractor thing (I thought it was a belt-clip at first), but is there a certain serial number I should be looking for to make sure it's the latest model?  Is anything after J0... okay?
    2) Is the hard-chromed version worth the extra $20-$30 or whatever it cost?  They were asking $309 at the Gun Show, but I'll offer $279.  IS hard-chromed or parkerized the way to go?  I DO live in Florida, but didn't know if these KTs were prone to rust.  Are the parkerized hard to find?  I only saw blued and HC at the gunshow.
    3) Anything else I should look for?
    THANKS!!!
     - jOE

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    IMO the HC is worth an extra $20 - $30 for sure. :cool:

3. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    10-4 on the HC...I didn't know if the parkerized would protect against rust as well or not.
    IS the HC as good as "Jack's" nickel plating thing? --that's only like $30 (+shipping) and I like the platinum color.

4. marshall

marshall New Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Keep an eye on the hole in the front (not the barrel!) for signs of thinning and weakness. Some people have had the recoil spring come out of the hole! If it gets "peened" or reamed out, send it back for a new slide.

See this link: http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1183761554

5. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    if you favor jack's job, make sure you shoot it enough to make sure it is a keeper..i doubt that kt would reimburse you for custom work....gpr

6. kaltectom

kaltectom New Member

Jun 4, 2005
    I also live in Florida. I have had mine with the original factory finish for a couple of years. I carry 24/7 and fire a couple of mags each time I go to the range. I clean it regularly and do not have a rust problem. I was raised with my Dad's threat......."Son never let the sun set on a dirty gun"

PS You can see I did not use the words Dad's advise.......

7. TexasGeezer

TexasGeezer New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Mine is the parkerized version. At the gun show where I bought mine, the parkerized models were the highest priced and I just liked the looks of them better.

I don't see much discussion on these in the forums-- anyone else have any thoughts on parkerized models ??

8. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Yeah, I like the looks of the Parkerized best.  And Jack's plating, too (that ceracoat looks good too, though I bet it's a LOT more expensive than Jack's coating).

I BOUGHT a plain black, blued P3AT for $259 + tax--it came to $285 (I picked up 2 boxes of Speer GD HP, 1 box of Federal Hydrashok PD HP, and 1 box of American Eagle for $50).  They wanted $299 for the Hard Chromed BLUE bodied P3AT (serial number JG), but $40 bucks seemed like a lot when I like Jack's $30 color better and it's probably just as protective.

I got the grip-pads and wrap last night; and I'm about to order one mag and pinky extension from the KTOGer who sells 'em, and one +1 extension from Kel-tec.  

I'll include a range report tonight or tomorrow (with pics!).  Thanks for all your help!  If I can get this thing apart, I'll check up on that guide-rod hole being thick or thin.

9. sfd_324

sfd_324 New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    I got your package laying right here, I ordered some stuff for my P32 but they shipped P3AT stuff  :(.
    Mag, pinky ext, & +1 ext. ;)......Got to send it back to KT tomorrow & exchange it!

Good luck with the P3AT, I will be getting one soon to go with my 2 P32's......can't wait ;D