P3AT purchase

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Rustyg, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Rustyg

Rustyg New Member

Oct 31, 2008
    I have found a slightly used (less than 50 rds.) P3AT for sale for a decent price and would like some opinions.  What should I look at or check before I fork over the cash?  Any signs of a problem that might be visible that I should look for first?  The guy says it is in like new condition and has never had a hiccup,  from the pictures he has sent me it appears to be in like new condition.  I just wanted to know if there might be any early warning signs to look for.  Thanks in advance.

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    My only question would be serial number and peening. Is it in the range that was peening? If so, check it over carefully and/or be ready to send it back if needed. Not a reason NOT to buy it, but just be ready.

-Scott

3. Rustyg

Rustyg New Member

Oct 31, 2008
    What are the serial number ranges I should watch for?

4. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Look for slide peening and/or thin metal where the recoil rod comes through the front of the slide.

5. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    What are the serial number ranges I should watch for?[/quote]

[​IMG]

is your friend.  I'd do a search for "peening" in the P3AT section over the last year.  You'll find it.

-Scott

6. crv99

crv99 New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    The newest ones should be fine. I just got one in November and shot the crap out of it over the Christmas holiday. Zero problems and it was very well machined. Beyond hand cycling a bunch of snap caps and a good clean/lube, I did nothing to get it to run, unlike my other ones that required some sort of fluff and buff type operation. No peening...nothing. Excellent pistol! I wish I could tell you the serial number, but this P3AT was a replacement for an old unreliable 1st gen one and they stamped my old serial number on the new frame. I do have another 2nd gen P3AT "pre new hammer block" with a serial of HHVXX and it's been a very reliable and a good (no peening at all) pistol after the initial fluff and buff/break in.