P3AT Pocket Holster

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sniper7369, Dec 31, 2008.

1. sniper7369

sniper7369 New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Williston, FL
    Just thought I's share some pics of the pocket holster I made for my P3AT. I molded it from .090 kydex, draw speed is very fast and the horn keeps it in the pocket perfectly during the draw.

[​IMG]

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    nice looking holster

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Very nice.

Do you use your thumb or your middle finger (maybe both) to push off the holster from the gun for the purpose of drawing the gun from your pocket?

Take care...

4. sniper7369

sniper7369 New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Williston, FL
    No, I just get a firing grip on the pistol and pull it out. The horn of kydex catches on the seam of my pocket and keeps the holster in place without having to push on it during the draw. Works pretty well. :)

5. wcgoble

wcgoble Banned

Oct 23, 2007
    Looks very much like the Kydex holster offered by Grandfather Oak.
    I had one for a while, but I found out that the holster wore off the finish from the muzzle end of the slide.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Good work, looks like a nice holster.

7. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Nice, good job ;)

8. ColeSpeed

ColeSpeed New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Is Kydex known for having an issue with rubbing off the finish? Does a tight fit cause it to be more abrasive? I use a Kydex holster for another handgun but have not seen this to be an issue; wondering if I should keep a closer watch on it.

Thanks, Tod

9. KD_Holsters

KD_Holsters New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Tod:

The wear comes from the amount of pressure applied on the gun by the kydex.  It's the same thing with leather.  You'll create burnish spots on the material where it rubs against the gun.

10. ColeSpeed

ColeSpeed New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Thanks for the confirmation on what I was thinking would cuase the rub off. Basically a good fit is what is needed then, sounds reasonable.

11. flaregun

flaregun New Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I haven't ever really considered gun finish damage on gun this inexpensive? In no way would I let that deter or change my choice in a holster.

I could see it being a big deal on a show gun, but these are tools...like a hammer. I don't worry about scuffs on a cordless drill, even one that costs as much as this gun.
    ::)