P3AT over LCP at Gun Tests

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Devildog341, May 28, 2008.

1. Devildog341

Devildog341 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Gun Tests magazine did a comparison of the P3AT and LCP. They gave a slight edge to the P3AT mainly due to more positive checkering on the grip and the LCP had some bad FTF. There was a problem with the P3AT trigger but it functioned without a problem. They also said that the major components were not interchangeable.

"We liked the concept of these small 380s very much, though we thought both guns needed some attention before we’d consider them ready for the street. The Kel-Tec definitely needed some file work on its trigger nose. The Ruger needed internal deburring and a touch of polishing. Both guns would benefit from sights twice as high as they now are, though that’s not necessary.
    Everyone who handled the two guns preferred the coarser checkering of the Kel-Tec, though the Ruger’s looked nicer. If there’s a better 380 concealment handgun than the P3AT, we would like to know what it is. These guns are both great, but I narrowly preferred the Kel-Tec."

2. :)

Sounds like the "experts" agree with a lot of folks... BOTH guns may need some TLC to make them dependable... and comfort/grip/looks is very subjective.

WHEN I get my Kahr .380 I will be able to do a 3 way comparison! ;D

3. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    ;D

Yep I spotted that right off with my P3.

4. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida
    Kel-tec 1...competition 0.....

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
  6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    That would imply two competing but different "standards" from the beginning. This is clearly the case of one long time established "standard" by one company being copied 10? years later by another. Not quite the same.

-Scott

7. Devildog341

Devildog341 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    I handled an LCP and it seemed more refined and had a better fit and finish, but not enough for me to trade up my hard chromed P3AT with extra mag and a +1 extension. It would have to be the same price, perfect out of the box, and be able to make a good cup of coffee before I would trade.

8. razz

razz New Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Do you have a link or can you post the whole article? Thanks.

9. Devildog341

Devildog341 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    I'm not sure if posting the whole article would be violating copyrights. Does anyone know? You have to be a subscriber to view it online.

10. SMMAssociates

SMMAssociates New Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Off the top of my head, posting the whole article would be a copyright issue, although the Gun Tests folks might still be willing.

(At worst, they may be willing to let you link in to the article without being a member.  Worth asking them.)

My P3's got a bad mag release (one of Packer's replacements is in the drawer), and I found the trigger too tiny - my rather chubby finger wraps around it, with painful results.

I tried the KT trigger shoe.  It worked quite well for a while, but essentially destroyed the trigger....

Waiting for Packer to ship me a new wide metal one.  Kind of a "what were they thinking" all the way around.

I don't like the way the P3 has "pitfalls", like the self-losing ejector, or the loopy recoil spring setup, but I'm enough of a tinkerer to appreciate the price. I'm going to say that the Ruger seems to have many fewer little zingers, for $100 or so more....

(I've handled the LCP, but not shot one.)

My major issue with the P3, at least until I get the trigger replaced, is that I don't feel safe with a gun that's not had a hundred rounds or so through it, and isn't comfortable enough to shoot more than a few times during a range session.  My old PPK/S, which isn't a lot of fun to shoot, either, is way ahead of that.  (My buddy's AMT isn't, but he has a new PPK/S that's not bad.)

I don't think the Ruger's any more pleasant to shoot....  This, IMHO, isn't a VHS v.s. Beta thing.  While not too many parts are interchangeable, they are still so much alike that it's almost cosmetic.

It's supposed to be a BUG or "gun to carry where you can't carry a gun", and isn't bad at that - I'd just like to get a few more rounds downrange.... (I do have the usual "handall" and padding installed.  It's that fool trigger....)

Regards,

11. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Can't say I'm surprised that the p3at would get better ratings than the LCP.

12. guru2sum

guru2sum Active Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin
    They actually did two reviews of the LCP.  And the LCP beat the Walther USA PPK 380 ACP and the Taurus PT138BP-12 380 ACP by a long shot.  So the P-3AT beat 3 in this issue.   :cool:

G2S

13. Devildog341

Devildog341 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    One thing to bear in mind about Gun Tests is that they don't incorporate findings from other tests on the same model weapon, just that particular weapon they are testing at the time. I have seen a pistol get an A one time and then they test it again a few months or years later and give it a lower score. Some times the score is based on comparative merits with whatever feature is on a competing model. How can you review a GLOCK umpteen times and get so many different scores? They tested a M&P and gave it a very low mark and then a few months later they tested another M&P in a different caliber and it beat all the others. They should take a model, test several of each caliber, write a review and let that review stand, and not keep reviewing it over and over and getting varying scores. But then I guess they would eventually run out of articles to write.

14. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    ;D

Yep I spotted that right off with my P3.[/quote]

What's wrong with the trigger nose? Mine looks fine, feels fine and, is symmetrical and even. It surely doesn't need any filing. Someone else said he has fat fingers,wears out trigger shoes and that the gun is not fun to shoot. What's wrong with me? Do I just not get it? My 2nd gen hard chrome P3 looks good, shoots well (forgive me if I say it's a "blast" to shoot) and, is FUN to shoot even with Buffalo Bore +P ammo. :)

I will say that I'm very pleased to see how it tested against the Ruger LCP but I'm not very surprised.

15. Mark_F

Mark_F New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Nothing beats a good cup of coffee... But I still wouldn't trade off my P3AT for an LCP.

16. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008
    For those, (unlike me ), i'd like to see the P3AT go agains this $1000.00 pocket pistol.
    http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/product/prod_set.html

I thought Kahr were expensive.

17. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008
    I know they are different calibers, but there is a .380 in the works isnot already out.

18. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    What DevilDog said. Gun Tests basically sucks and getting an A from them means basically as much as getting an F - ie nothing at all. They happened to get it right this time, but hey, even the blind hen sometimes finds a corn.

19. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Ok, maybe i worded that last post a little too harsh. Grumpy in the morning :) Anyway their tests shouldnt be taken too seriously

20. forestranger

forestranger Active Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Yep, they "flunked" the PF9 because of trigger & P3AT & I guess lcp has same trigger design? :-/