P3AT or P32??

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by pjm204, Jan 21, 2008.

1. pjm204

pjm204 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    I've got a P-11, along with a bunch of other pistols. I'm looking at getting a P32 or a P3AT. Any input on which I should get? Does KT still make any of the colors or did they stop? by colors I am referring to other than black, OD, and grey.

2. PHQAdmin

PHQAdmin New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    I picked up a P3AT HC with Navy grip 2 weeks ago. Haven't seen many of them, but they are still out there.

I haven't priced it, but I have read on here that .32 ammo is higher in cost than the .380. Things to also consider.

Good luck with your decision!

3. Srigs

Srigs New Member

Mar 10, 2005
    I like basic black myself. ;)

Check Kel-tec site for new frames and give them a call if you need to.

Why one get one... I have both and like them both. The P32 is an accurate little gun and easy for anyone to shoot. The 10 round mag makes it a dream to shoot. The P3AT can be a handful but I don't have a problem shooting it.

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    What Srigs said - KT can tell you what is available.  As for which P32/P3AT to get, well, I can only add MY opinion to:
    [​IMG]

by saying that they are nearly identical in price, weight and size so it doesn't make any sense to me to go with a lesser stopping power weapon with more expensive ammo. But that only holds true if YOU (editorial You meaning any particular owner) can reliably shoot your weapon and it is more likely that any given owner will have a better chance at that with a P32 than with a P3AT.

Do some surfing, there are LOTS of threads here and in the P32 section to give you some advice on this subject.

-Scott

5. pjm204

pjm204 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    I keep asking my girlfriend which I should get and she says p-32 because it has less recoil. However, I have never had a problem with recoil or limpwristing. I've shot/had several small pistols, including a Grendel P-10 which is larger but still very small and light. I figure I can always load light loads for it if I want to do a lot of target practice.....
    Still I'll have to think more about which I want.

6. paulpetricas

paulpetricas New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    just find somebody that will let you shoot them or get both to make your girlfriend happy (you don't want her to be mad at you)

7. paulpetricas

paulpetricas New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    where are you located? if you are close to me i will meet you at a range to try any of my handguns, your state is not showing in your profile

8. pjm204

pjm204 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Paul,
    Thanks for the offer but I live in PA, looks like you live in Indiana. I will just gamble with it. At this rate, I'll end up with both eventually. I've bought 6 pistols this year. I am planning to get a Sig P-225/P6 also though.

9. clayflingythingy

clayflingythingy New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    I'm of the opinion that there isn't much difference between 32 ACP/380 ACP. And the lower recoil of the P32 is a positive factor for those who dislike the P3AT recoil. Choose the gun and calibre YOU want and don't put too much stock in what I, or anyone else, says.

10. medphys3

medphys3 New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    I have a P32 and a P3AT and still haven't decided which one I like better.  The P3AT packs a bigger punch, but the P32 holds one more round  :-/

11. erikswindlehurst

erikswindlehurst Banned

Jan 5, 2008
    And the slide locks back after the last round with the P32. Not so with the P3AT.

12. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    The only real reason I see for the P32 is if the 380 recoil is too much for the shooter. I understand the extra round and slide lockback, and dismiss them as less important than the more powerful larger diameter bullet since reloads are not common in self defense situations.

13. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    .380 for me, although i have no issues shooting the larger round and still don't care for the anemic power of it. get what you shoot better or are more comfortable with...

14. John_W

John_W New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I'm of the opinion that these particular guns are for self-defense rather than fun; and that .380 is about as minimum as I'd like to go in a self-defense caliber. Therefore, as long as you can handle it well (shot placement being a high priority), I personally would go (and did go) with the P-3AT.

15. tommy51s

tommy51s New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City
    I'm not a recoil expert, but it seems like the more forceful recoil of the .380 vs the .32 must be telling us something about what it's like to be on the receiving end of the two bullets.

16. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    The P3At is fun to tame. The extra punch ain't a bad thing either. There is a reason KT sells a cubic load of 'em. ;)

17. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Kel-Tec P-32 vs. Kel-Tec P-3AT, Pros and Cons

Kel-Tec P-32 Pros
    1. Has slide lock
    2. Holds 7+1
    3. Very slightly smaller and lighter
    4. Less recoil

Kel-Tec P-32 Cons
    1. Can have rim-lock problems mainly with hollow-point ammo.
    2. Smaller and less powerful round
    3. Harder to find ammo and less variety

Kel-Tec P-3AT Pros
    1. No rim-lock problems
    2. Larger and more powerful round
    3. Easier to find ammo and greater variety

Kel-Tec P-3AT Cons
    1. No slide-lock
    2. Holds 6+1
    3. Very slightly larger and heavier
    4. More recoil

I debated the same thing and finally went with the P-3AT, here's why:
    I wanted the gun that had the best compromise between size, weight, stopping power, and reliability at a reasonable cost.

The slide-lock wasn't a big deal to me because most self-defense situations are over before a 6 or 7 round magazine is empty anyway.

For this same reasoning the number difference between 6 more powerful rounds or 7 weaker rounds may be a toss up.

The P-32 would be better loaded with non-expanding ammo for two reasons:
    1. The possibilities of rim-lock with expanding ammo and...
    2. .32 does not have enough power to expand well, so it’s probably better to go with non-expanding ammo and rely on the deeper penetration for stopping power.

The .380 ammo does expand quite well and at the same time the penetration is fair. With non-expanding ammo .380 penetration is more than adequate, and at any rate better than the .32.

So, for 1 oz. more weight and 0.1" more in length I went with the .380, and found that the recoil isn't all that bad, especially if you add finger extensions to your magazines and a slip-on grip.

I prefer hard chrome for its durabilty and smoothness, but settled for Parkerized because that's all I could find at the time. The Parkerize has been very good, no complaints or problems.
    The color of the grip is purely a personal choice (mine is black).

Two years and over 2000 malfunction-less rounds later I still think I made the right decision.

Bobo

18. glenspalding

glenspalding New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    I got both because I could.
    I fire both because I can.
    I can carry either because I'm licensed.
    I would not sell or trade either because

There my children and I love them.

Yeh yeh one of these days I'll get a life :D
    Until then I will enjoy them both.  ;D

19. m75

m75 New Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Turk,
    (or anybody else with a 3ATand 32)

How much difference is there in the frames? (Other than the internal slide lock)

I was wondering if a P3AT slide/barrell could be placed on a P32 frame (and the reverse).

Thanks.

20. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Don't have both, but the answer is no. Nor can the grips be swapped.

-Scott