P3AT on Mythbusters

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by brotherjethro, Nov 5, 2007.

1. brotherjethro

brotherjethro New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Hi all,

Any fans of Mythbusters out there?  I noticed while watching this week's episode (about shooting a gas tank / blowing up a car) that they used a Kel-Tec P3AT or P32 in one of their animated graphics.

Through the magic of TV, they reversed the image, creating the first left-ejecting P3AT that I know of.  Now there's a product 25% of us would covet!  Where do I get mine?

Later...

2. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    The brass just goes straight up 5 feet and backwards 5 feet on mine, so I don't think putting the ejection port on the opposite side would make much of a difference ;D

3. cclem700

cclem700 New Member

Oct 31, 2006
  4. brotherjethro

brotherjethro New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Ha!  True enough, except mine goes about 15 feet backwards.

And oddly enough, even though I am a lefty, I've been carrying it on the right side, because that's where my empty pockets are.  When I bought this gun, I wanted something I could carry without changing how I dress or even where I carry my cell phone.  It needs to be that simple, or I won't do it.

I think most of us lefties have learned to be ambidextrous anyway.  I know I can shoot any pistol just as well left or right handed (but I still have to use my left eye for sighting).

5. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    I watched that episode and I totally missed the P-3AT! Must have been focused on Kari again! ::)

6. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    You mean there are other people and things on Mythbusters other than Kari?????
    (My wife is a redhead too, so I can look)

wyo-man

7. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I'm right-handed, but I keep the P3 in my left pocket, initially because I meant it to be mainly a backup gun, but also because I'd normally kept that pocket empty (until I got the gun, of course). I also seem to find myself neglecting to take my primary piece with me many times...mostly because it's so easy to carry the P3, because it's always in that pocket.

I try to practice weak-hand-only and left-two-handed as much as strong-handed shooting, both live firing and with snap caps. One of these days, I'll set up two targets to compare the differences...

8. Plex

Plex New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    I wouldn't mind having a left sided ejector/ left handed mag release on my P3AT.

I am right handed, but because I am left eye dominant, I learned to shoot left handed a long time ago. All my junk; keys, cell phone and such goes in my right pocket. That leaves the left pocket for the P3AT in a Nemesis holster.

I learned I needed to shoot left handed when I almost broke my cheek bone leaning over my uncle's 30-06 when I was about 11.

I can shoot pistols right or left, but defer to left handed. I guess all the practice lets me shoot the P3AT one handed too with no feeding problems.

I did not see that episode of Mythbusters. Wish I had.

--Plex

9. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Only 5 feet?  You may want to send it in to KT.  Sounds like something is wrong with it.   ;)

The casing in this pic is on it's way back down.

[​IMG]

10. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    That's my wife, there...she's right handed but left eye dominant, and so she doesn't touch long guns. If she were more motivated, she'd learn to shoot left handed but she is comfortable with pistols, and I don't want to burn out her interest!

11. baboo

baboo New Member

May 9, 2007
    I am a lefty but blind in my left eye. All lefties learn to be ambidextrous to some degree out of necessity, but I still carry on the left side (unless I have the P-11 on the left). I shoot long guns and bows right handed.

+1 on the ejection port not making a difference. Shooting out the window of a tent would be about the only way to catch all of the brass.

12. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Hey - I resemble that remark. I have a screen house that I set up off the back tailgate of the pickup and shoot out of it when I want to contain my brass out in the woods. It works awesome.

-Scott

13. Doc_Mark

Doc_Mark Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Greetings, Friends,

I, too, am right-handed, for most things, but left-eye dominant. I grew up shooting pistols right-handed, but cocking my head over slightly, so I could use my left eye for sighting. Seems perfectly normal to me, now. I also shot right-handed rifles, left-handed, including bolt and lever guns, with no real problems. Bolt access seemed odd at first, but I even got used to that. Now, I have a wonderful left-handed Ruger .30-06, and my flintlock rifle is also for South-paws, and I love them both!! But, for pistols, I keep shooting right-handed, and sighting with my left eye, and that works well for me. Lots of ways to skin the cat, eh?!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

P.S. I can also shoot pistols left-handed, and that works well, but I prefer shooting them right-handed.

14. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Instead of cocking your head when shooting a pistol, try rotating the pistol to the left about 10-15 degrees. This is the recommended method by some instructors for people who are cross-eye dominant. Note that you DON'T tilt it 45 or 90 degrees like the "gangsters"! ;D

15. Doc_Mark

Doc_Mark Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Hey, Sangueffusor,

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try, but think this old dog has been doing it the other way for so long, that I might have a very hard time getting the new way to "take"! ;) :) In truth, I don't even think about it, and I've been sighting pistols that way since the 1960's. Kinda hard to break a habit that I've had for so long, especially since it has worked well for me all these years. But, what the hay, I'll give it a try, and see how it feels. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

16. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Can we please get back to talking about Kari? :eek:

17. kimberbp22

kimberbp22 Banned

Nov 9, 2007
    I already posted about KT and that episode. Even had KTWM question me how they could have a KT in California since it's not on the approved list. I explained to him that it was during the animated segments and they probably just lifted a photo from the internet. And...

It wasn't a P3AT. It was a P11.

18. brotherjethro

brotherjethro New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    You cut me deep, Kimber...    :'(

Now I'll have to watch it again, to check which gun it was AND to see Kari.   :)

BUT, speaking of firearms & Mythbusters:  There have been several episodes where they fired handguns, rifles, and shotguns in their building or a cargo container in the parking lot.  I've often wondered, considering that they're in the PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia), how do they get away with it?

19. kimberbp22

kimberbp22 Banned

Nov 9, 2007
    Sorry, no offense intended. I'm assuming they get permits for the stuff they do or there's not an illegal discharge of a firearm within city limits type law where they are. Or, they are on their own property, or they have the owner's permission. A lot of their shooting episodes are done at actual ranges so I wouldn't think anything special would be needed. Also, a lot of the times when they're using guns, explosives, etc, they'll have the bomb squad or some other "expert" on site.

20. Plex

Plex New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    They are licensed pyrotechnicians. They started out doing special effects for Hollywood. I imagine they have adequate liability insurance. I'd love to try some of their stunts.

--Plex