P3AT nine-shot mag range report

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by badgerjohnson, Mar 10, 2011.

1. badgerjohnson

badgerjohnson New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Got the 9 shot magazine and took it shooting. No problems, the bottom didn't blow off as some have described. I have two backups ordered. Hopefully all will perform OK.

I used the Shoot-N-C self-adhesive targets as well. Those are very useful in concert with the C-T laser for spotting exactly where your round hits since they bloom in fluorescent green on black when pierced. Higher feedback = faster skill acquisition.

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Glad the 9 shot worked out for you. I've had one for awhile now and also without issues. Have not read of any problems with the 9 shot until reading your post.

Bill K.

3. badgerjohnson

badgerjohnson New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    I happened to see the reviews on the Kel-Tec site and several said the first couple shots blew off the plastic bottom being too thin. Others had no problems.

4. snookking

snookking Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Very odd mine has been flawless in performance however it does not seat evenly with the grip.

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Very odd mine has been flawless in performance  however it does not seat evenly with the grip. [/quote]

Maybe those reviews at Kel-Tec site were from folks who got the very first mags and were in effect beta testers?

Yeah, mine doesn't seat/mate as neatly as I'd like it to but like you functions just fine.

Bill K.

6. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Humor me on this one, can you post a pic of the gun w/mag inserted in a holster? I just need a reference as to the size for carrying.

7. badgerjohnson

badgerjohnson New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Don't have a holster handy but here's a couple pics from a google image search:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. spark

spark New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Torrent, can U tell me why the rear of the extention does not match the profile of the rear of grip (viewed from the mag release side)?
    Also, why is there a cutout on the opposite side towards the rear of the extention.
    Is there an actual funtion that these mismatch profiles allow to be performed, or is it a KelTec designer at sleep?

9. badgerjohnson

badgerjohnson New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Looking at mine, I see a non-uniform gap of 1/8" tapering to 1/16" along the mate point of the mag to the end of the handle of the gun. There does not seem to be a reason it could not have been machined (it's plastic) to a much closer tolerance.

Perhaps a thin 1/16" rubber pad at that point would have allowed them to match better. Some users claimed that their hand sometimes got caught in the gap and they got pinched when it fired. This didn't happen with me (I got the Hogue grip after returning from the range).

Having said that it still seems tight and stable and a non-problem functionally. If you don't mind fussing with the Hogue grip when you insert the magazine it's covered up.

10. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    It probably has more to do with ergonomics than aesthetics, if I had to guess. The curve you're talking about might keep the angle of the extension from pressing too far into the heel of your palm. As far as the cut out is concerned, I have no idea. It may serve as retainer for the metal mag inside so the two pieces don't came apart. I've yet to see one of these up close on a P3AT and the only one I've seen has been on a P32. That has me curious as to how the extension works and how hard it is to conceal.
    You'll see these gaps between the mag and the grip on the P11 as well. A rubber washer from Lowes or Home Depot will fix it if you are concerned with the way it looks or get pinched by it.