P3AT new finish and front sight

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by swatz, Oct 26, 2008.

1. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Hi all,
    Long time lurker!, Just wanted to share my upgrades that I finished on my little guy. I had it lightly sandblasted and put on 3 coats of Wheeler Cerama-coat. It has stayed on and still looks as good as the day i did it 6 weeks ago. I also thought i would try and do something about the non existing front sight. I found a replacement shotgun bead that Hi Vis offers and ordered it up. It was a little too tall, so I took off about 3mm of the height on a stone.I then used gasket adhesive to stick it on..I think it has helped a lot, and does not seem to be a problem as far as it hanging up on anything.These are fun guns to work on, I'm glad I gave it a shot. I am enjoying the little P3AT even more now...Best, Steve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Looks like a nice even finish on the cerama coat, good job. :cool:

Certainly a unique approach on solving the sight issue. A helluva lot cheaper than a laser too. ;)

3. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Thanks Doubloon, but based on the amount of readers and the lack of comments, I don't think others must think much of it! Oh well... :-[
    Best, Steve

4. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Does look good. Don't let the lack of comments bother you. I have posted pics and had maybe 2 or 3 comments from a multitude of views also. Some members did what we did before we registered and that is just read. Many post enough to get access to the Trading Post and the Counter and then slow down on posting. ;)

John

5. bunky

bunky New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    i think it looks awsome.you did a great job. :)

6. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Not many posts but a lot of lookers...150

I just painted mine so there would be no hang ups in my pocket.
    I bought mine just for pocket carry.

There are probably a lot of people wishin they had those on their gun.
    Anyone doing a lot of shooting at the range rather than just carrying it for protection would like those.
    nice job.

7. vashooter

vashooter New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    The sight looks great SWAZ, how do you think it would hold up to getting snagged while being drawn from the pocket? How durable is the Cerama-coat? I'm mostly wondering about chipping and holster wear.

8. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Thanks guys for the comments...I appreciate a lot.
    The sight looks great SWAZ, how do you think it would hold up to getting snagged while being drawn from the pocket? How durable is the Cerama-coat? I'm mostly wondering about chipping and holster wear.

So far so good on the wear, I can not see one scratch or blemish on it..the finish is really pretty easy to work with, spray and bake...really want to have a toaster oven though, it really stinks! The sight is solid..tyhe gasket maker seems to have just enough adhesion vs. elasticity to it. I have no problems drawing with it. I originally was going the tritium vial rout, but could not find one that seemed bright enough, this thing is amazingly bright! right up till dark.
    Best, Steve

9. OrlandoB

OrlandoB New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    swatz, that is an awesome solution! I just bought my p3at this weekend (pick is tomorrow!) and was looking for a way to improve the sights.

What adhesive did you use for the sight to slide?

10. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Thanks OrlandoB,
    The adhesive is called Permatex Ultra Black hi-temp RTV silicone gasket maker..I got it at Autozone..around $5-6. The sight came right from Hi-vis, and it comes in both red and green..here is a link to one on the bay (hope that it is ok to put a link here?) http://cgi.ebay.com/HI-VIZ-HIVIZ-SP...|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

11. RJMcElwain

RJMcElwain New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Thanks OrlandoB,
    The adhesive is called Permatex Ultra Black hi-temp RTV silicone gasket maker..I got it at Autozone..around $5-6. The sight came right from Hi-vis, and it comes in both red and green..here is a link to one on the bay (hope that it is ok to put a link here?) http://cgi.ebay.com/HI-VIZ-HIVIZ-SP...|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14[/quote]

Thanks for posting the details. I like the looks. I painted my front sight with glow-paint, which helped a lot, but I think I like yours better.

12. OrlandoB

OrlandoB New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    swatz,

I just ordered the Hi Viz site from the link you gave me.

How should I proceed to remove the threads on the sight?

When attached, how do you line up your rear and front sight when aiming for best accuracy?

13. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008

OrlandoB,
    The post just twists right out, I then decided it was too high on the gun, so I slowly took it down with a stone by just sanding it until the green plastic just cleared the top of the slide. I think you could also do it by holding it against an orbital sander..would be much faster. I just eyeballed it as far as finding the right spot and set it aside for a few hours. Good luck, it's easy!
    Regards, Steve

14. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Just as a note here. The slide pictured is a 1st gen, so there really isn't any rear sight. KT did at least make some effort at usable sights on the 2 gen. I ended up putting an armalaser on my 1 Gen so I could hit something with it.

15. spike87

spike87 New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    I personally don't think I would ave gone with that option for the sight, you haven't had a problem yet but I think it would snag for me, but I do like the slide. Very clean looking.

16. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Swatz: Great Job!

17. sirlancelot

sirlancelot New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    nice finish , not crazy about the sight.

still waiting for mine to came back from kel-tec. wish i had your skill with firearms. would have fixed it myself :D

18. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008

sirlancelot,
    Thanks, but believe me I'm not totally in love with the look it either ;) It works great though, I just wish it was a little more low profile. I may try another insert ( I bought a few different diameters and shapes when I got the sight from Hivis) and that might allow me to take even more off the sight base and lower it. It is really nice to be able to quickly pick up that front sight though, even in early morning, late afternoon its much brighter than the original, and so I shoot much quicker with it.
    Best, Steve

19. Jeremy3303

Jeremy3303 New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Looks good to me. I think you gave me an idea, theres gotta be an old hi-viz shotgun sight around the house somewhere. [smiley=grin.gif]