P3AT mod thread

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by dboat, Feb 21, 2008.

1. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    What mods have you done to your P3AT and which do you like the most or the least?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Thanks, much better

OK, back to the subject of the post

I have added the nylon recoil rod guide bushing and the barrel lug to frame buffer.

I think they both make the action much smoother and tighter. They only improve the performace and reliablity with out changing the small as built package and effecting ease of carry. if and when I shoot, I don't need sights, don't mind a little sting, and if 6 don't work....that will be my bad ;)

3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    First off, I would like to courteously welcome you to the forum, Dana! Apparently the initial responses to your contributions were more disciplinary than cordial. :-/

I have a second generation P3AT that from everything I have been told hereon, is an exceptional specimen in that I have not had much go wrong with it. I did an entry level Fluff & Buff before I ever shot it, but other than FTEs due to my limp-wristing, the weapon has operated very well. The result is that I have not made very many modifications, especially ones directed at corrected a problem. I did paint my sights, Testor Fluorescent Green in the back, Testor Fluorescent Orange on the front. I also added the grip pads and over-grip that is recommended by many members (AGlazer?). I recently decided that I like the +1 extension on my carry-magazine (opting to leave the base floor plate on my spare). I did sand down the magazine release button as I found myself activating it inadvertently.

That's about it. It's a nice little weapon pretty much as-is. :) Mine has the blued slide and I have contemplated having it chromed or re-finished in some way, but that will be on down the line for me. And I am VERY tempted to buy one of the Crimson Trace Lasers. I may yet do that.

Thanks for the thread and I hope to read you around! Have a great one!

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Yes! You are very welcome. If you haven't noticed, KTOG is quite a bit different than other gun boards. It is much nicer, more organized, and has minimal mall ninja content. We keep it that way by self policing for the most part and asking newer members to get a feel for the tenor of the board before going off half-cocked (pun intended, NOT what any new members were doing here). Very little moderation is actually done but A LOT of self policing. This is a private sand box where ALL are welcome as long as they play like we like to play.

That said... I have a variety of P3ATs with a variety of mods done to them. MANY will be fond of the finger extensions of which there are at least three different types plus the +1 extension from KT. I happen to only like the +1 and do not like any of them that "hook" but I am by far in the minority on this one.

The best value mod in my mind are my grip pads and grip sleeves from Sprinter. See his add in the Trading Post. THESE ARE AWESOME and very inexpensive. They take any bite out of the P3AT that might have been there in the first place and make it a very comfortable weapon.

Fluffing and buffing (F&B) is pretty common though not exactly a mod. It comes as a carry over from MUCH earlier models that apparently some needed a lot of it to get 100%. It is rarely needed any more but many do it because it helps break in go faster (ammo ain't cheap) and more importantly (IMNSHO) it gets the user accustomed to their weapon. KTs are VERY simple and most users can do just about any "Gun Smithing" that might need done.

I love the Armalasers that some of my P3ATs have. Wifey won't carry without it. Well, she will but she will not be happy about it. CTC appears to be up and coming with a very new model laser as well.

The P3AT does not usually need or benefit from any aftermarket springs or anything like that though replacing your guide rod springs seems to be pretty common somewhere after 1000 rounds. Replace wiht factory springs for very cheap.

Sight paint. Have tried it, don't particularly care one way or the other but nightsighters (see Trading Post again) could be pretty cool.

Most important "mod" in my mind? Polish the feed ramp, clean and heavily oil and grease and SHOOT OFTEN. Shoot, Clean, Lube, repeat as necessary!

-Scott

5. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    New HC slide
    F&B
    Uncle Mike's rubber grip cover thingy
    Filed down the mag release button
    Filed down corners/edges of the grip
    Sight paint (today actually)
    +1 mag extension

I think this thread may give me some ideas later on as to different mods I might want to try. Thanks for posting it. :)

6. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008

Torrent, you are most welcome.. :)

Dana

7. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Mods?  I polished the barrel, outside, in the chamber & feed ramp.  I also polished the rest of the F&B items just not as much.  lightly sanded the grip to remove sharp areas & mold lines.  Added NAA finger extension & removed almost half of that to reduce the printing.  Also removed some of the trigger at the tip and changed the curve slightly. Also added the belt clip (that's a mod with up & down sides).

The only two of the above I consider to be necessary (for me) were the trigger shortening & finger extension.  The rest were for comfort, appearance or to speed up the F&B.  I do believe that the smoother your gun cycles the more forgiving it will be of loose holds (limp wristing).

[​IMG]

8. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    I have done a minor Barrel-Hood-Mod on many of my FG P-3ATs and three of my SG P-3ATs. I have also installed silver triggers in most of my HC P-3ATs. I have NAA or Bersa finger extensions on all but a few of my P-3AT magazines (my favorite accessory). My wife has confiscated some of my P-3ATs and had their grip colors altered to fit her mood at the time. Several of the blued slides and some magazine bodies have been refinished with Gun Kote. I swear by F&B even if not needed.

I always remove belt clips when I buy a pre-owned P-3AT. While I have a couple of +1 mag extensions, one is in my parts box and the other is used as a negative demonstrator for new P-3AT shooters. I hate dark purple grips.

Wilson – who’s happy to share his feelings ::)

9. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Mods I’ve done on my 2G P3-AT in order of best first …

ArmaLaser
    Slight rampectomy
    Metal magazine catch
    Barrel lug and magazine well shims
    Bersa finger extensions
    Extended backstrap
    Slip-on grip
    Painted sights
    O-rings on mags above Bersa extensions

Bobo

10. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    Hi. Good question!
    I'm not a big gun person.  Had a Astra 9mm short (380).
    It fired amd jamed on me, when takeing off the safty.
    Got ride of it, and got a P3AT.  Now to the mod's.
    I had a sharp peace at the back of the grip, cut my hand.
    A little sanding fix that, also sanded the trigger and guard.
    Had trouble useing reloads. FTF & FTE's.
    Now use Independence 90 gr. FMJ. No problems.
    I shoot about 2 mags a week.  
    NO F&B. didn't know what that was.
    I'm new on the KTOG. I read it every day. Good info.
    I painted the sights, white and green.  Wooks good.
    I'm retired, got nothing else to do.  81 years old.
    Got a shooting buddy, as a care person.
    Bought her a Walther P22. She loves it.
    She tried my P3AT. Broke  her finger nail.
    She wants no part of it.  She sticks with the P22.
    We got our CPL (CCW) together. With NRA.
    Don't carry. We live in Trenton, nice town, quiet.
    But if things change, we got them.
    I also got a U.S.Carbine.  Had it over 60 years.
    I take it to the range with us some times.  
    It's got windage and slideing range sights.
    When in the Army, I got Expert with Carbine.
    Only Markman with the M1 Garand.
    But that was good enugh to go shot people.
    Was with the 11th Airborne in WWII.
    Sorry for the rambleng & the spelling.
    I love my P3AT.
    Keep it and second mag in the case it came in.
    Charlie.

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hey,

Cool thread, thanks.

In approximate order ...

1. Hogue Handall Jr. grip
    2. Bersa magazine extention
    3. Replace extractor - FTE fix
    4. White painted on dot-the-eye sights
    5. Metal mag release - Mag dropping fix
    6. AGlaser pads (one set) and grip - Hogue grip slipping fix
    7. Nylon washer - Peening fix

Thinking about ...

1. +1 mag extension
    2. Laser - (for practice on one P3AT not for second carry (when I finally get a 2nd P3AT))

Take care ...

12. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    hehe. mine is actually totally stock as of yet. f&b'ed it when new trying to figure out what my extraction problem was. i'm thinking that i'll keep the mags stock, i like the extensions on the P11/40 but namely because if i carry it, i'm wearing enough clothes to still conceal it. P3 gets most duty, though. would do well with a grip cover, but haven't looked into one of those just yet...

13. jnolte

jnolte New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    read the signature, ive also polished the feed ramp and painted the sights, and have dremled annoying sharp edges away. you really want to shave down the mag release because it can be accidently pushed in the pocket and the mag will release, quite deadly if in a sticky situation and your mag falls out, ouch

14. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

when you say "Stainless p3at", are you saying you have replace some major parts (slide, barrel, frame) with a stainless steel version.?

And what are the details of a "white trigger job"?

15. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Haven't done much to mine, did a F&B when I first got it. Put on the grip pads and grip sleeve from Sprinter, they really make a difference. I've put Bersa grip extenders on my primary and back-up mags. I painted the rear sight green and the front sight bright orange (Testors paint) and coated the paint with clear fingernail polish, the sights really stand out. I took all of the rough edges off the grips and trigger before I put on the pads and grip sleeve. I'm a lefty and haven't had any problems with the mag release. This is my primary carry, shoot about 50 rds/month, sometimes more. Totally satisfied with this little guy, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog that makes the difference.

16. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  17. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008

when you say "Stainless p3at", are you saying you have replace some major parts (slide, barrel, frame) with a stainless steel version.?

[/quote]
    I'm sure he's got a Hard Chromed AT.