P3AT magazine probs?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by roland45, May 17, 2008.

1. roland45

roland45 New Member

May 16, 2008
    Yep, another newbie question.
    I picked up my new hard chromed ( Scott was kind enough to educate me on the difference between hard coat, and hard chrome :-[) 2nd gen P3AT last night at the local gun shop($286.00 with tax and tags) . Since my gun club is less than 3 miles away from the shop, I stopped in for a quick miller light
    (or 2 with the Mrs. driving of course)  to show off my new pistol. The prez, and vice prez were there and before long this little pistol had been passed to the other side of the bar. Keeping a keen eye on it, it made its way to a local LEO, (off duty of course) who proceeded to yank out a 1st Gen P3AT (black and blue) from some where on his person. He explained that he bought his about 3 years ago, and it never gave him a problem. So, after giving it a good cleaning, I took the pistol to the range today to try out some 95 gr fmj American eagle fodder. I loaded the magazine with 6 rounds, but the mag would not stay inside the grip. I pushed the mag up and pushed the magazine release in reverse, to no avail. Taking 1 round out of the mag kept it in, but it still didn’t feel like it was being held securely.
    1st round FTF was expected, the pistol ran fine for the other 4 rounds. put 6 back in the mag and slapped it in the mag housing and it stayed put, but still felt like the mag wasn’t catching properly. FTF on the first round in the second sting was expected, and a slap on the slide drove the round home. All 6 rounds went down range without a hitch, but the mag still seemed,,, loose? no problems with the other 38 rounds I put through the pistol, except the loose mag feeling.
    I didn’t see any details on the FAQ page about this kind of thing, ergo the question;
    Mag problem,  mag catch problem, or something that that is an easy fix?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Roland      

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Some times the magazine spring is not seated proper and or the follower has some flashing that makes a full magazine a little stiff. the norn response is take a ruler and work it some.

I preffered to clean the magazine and make sure spring was installed properly and the follower was tappered around the edges so the spring would go into it

When properly assembled, the magazine loaded with six rounds, You need to be able to push the top round down so that the rim is not visable from the back. as it press it down, it should be smooth, if you feel snap or resitance, that is a spring coil being forced into the follower and this is not good.

Another check of the mag latch is to remove the slide and see how the mag inserts. I would recommend the release be held in so that the inserting magazine does not shave the plastic release

to disassemble the magazine, take the slide pin, insert it into the button hole in the bottom of the magazine about an 1/4" deep, then push the base off. the pin in the hole will stop it from flying off. with it part way off, remove the pin and slide the base off. be careful not to let the spring fly

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Oh

as far as the loose feel...I didn't like that either and though it could contributed to feed problems.

I put some neoprine strips at the rear bottom of the well and at the upper nose to hold my magazine very secure

4. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Roland, I suspect the problem is with the magazine itself. The easy fix would be to buy a spare, mark them both, then see if the new one has the same sorts of problems. If the new one is fine you could probably get a replacement from KT for free.

If you would rather troubleshoot the problem, start by disassembling the mag per JFB above. In addition to his advice, check to make sure the spring is oriented properly. Lightly sand the sharp edges of the follower just a little. The idea here is that something may be causing a snag that prevents the follower from going all the way to its normal max depth. Check the inside of the tube for burrs or anomalies. Last, lightly sand the inside of the feed lips to remove any sharp edges that may be present. These can leave tell-tale scratches on the brass, and create enough extra friction to cause that first round FTFe. After that, I can only think a defective mag catch, or possibly a problem with the recoil springs. The mag itself is by far the most likely culprit IMO.

5. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    Hi Roland. Welcome to KTOG! :)

Check the TOP of the bottom plate for excess plastic flash that may be keeping the mag from inserting all the way into the pistol. Trim it away (carefully) with a razor blade and you will be good to go.

Packer.

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    We are good at edumakacion around here. Heck our great moderator Tx is a teecher.

The others are right about the mag being the most likely culprit on a new gun. Clean the flashing around the base plate with a sharp knife so it can sit a bit farther up into the gun.

Some have had to replace the mag catch and spring on some new weapons. Probably more likely a installation problem and not a part problem (and installing the new one fixed it just like removing and reinstalling the old one might have). If you do this there is a great video someone will link to on how. NOTE HOW THE SPRING IS INSTALLED - WHICH WAY THE CROOK IS before you take the original out.

Finally, and most important. The mag is steel. The catch is plastic. DO NOT SLAM IT HOME. These babbies need the mag catch pressed all the way, the mag inserted, then the catch released. Otherwise the steel mag will shave off the plastic catch. It won't happen in one or two times, and in an emergency you can slam it home all you want but don't prematurely wear it out when just having fun at the range.

-Scott

7. roland45

roland45 New Member

May 16, 2008
    Thanks to all who answered my post.
    I have taken the Mag apart and didn’t see anything that might have caused this problem, the trouble is that I shot all 50 rounds at the range, So I need to pick up some more this week. I will look at the Mag catch and Mag closer when I get the chance to clean the pistol.
    Scott, thanks for the heads up about not slamming the Mag home.
    It just comes natural, with my Para p12, and other pistols.
    With a pistol as light and precise as this, I understand the need to be a little more gentle with it.
    I noticed that Packer might have a steel Mag catch or 2 in his inventory, after I get the chance to check mine out, Ill see if Packer gives any kind of special “Pennsyltuckian” discount. ;)I am very happy with the P3AT,and like most gun owners I know, I don’t mind doing a little “tinkering” to make them run.
    I am not quite sure who every on this board is yet, but thank you all for welcoming me and I look forward to chatting with you all. I seem to be getting more Edjumakated every time I come to the forum.
    Roland

8. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Pocket pistols are a different animal, and the tactics/habits developed for use with a 1911 aren't all a good idea. Sort of like buying a scooter and trying to drive it on the freeway, or trying to park your Hummer on the sidewalk while picking up Starbucks.

9. roland45

roland45 New Member

May 16, 2008
    All,
    I was able to finagle a mag from my brother this week
    He has a 1st gen p3at, and loves it. The mag he let me use works very well.
    loaded up 6 rnds, held the mag catch in, pushed the mag into the grip and it stayed put.
    while squeezing the grip, the mag did not pop out.
    I called kel tec customer service this afternoon, explained the problem and asked if I needed to write a note when I send the defect back. The fellow was very cheerful, took my name and address and told me that he would send out a new mag right away, with a self addressed envelope to sent the defect back in.
    He was so nice,  I didn’t get the chance to ask him if there was a way he could slip me one of the finger extensions for my trouble.
    Guess I’m just a sucker for pleasant  C/s personnel.
    Thanks tor all who answered my post, for the insight.
    Roland

10. Tobashadow

Tobashadow New Member

Apr 13, 2008
    The more and more i hear about Kel-tec's good service makes me more and more happy about getting a P32 over waiting for a LCP

11. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Well, THERE is your problem. You are putting P3AT mags in a P32 (or vice versa). ;D

Glad you got it sorted out and are getting a new mag. Keep in mind you might just have the same problem and need to clean up some of that mold flashing.

-Scott

12. Tobashadow

Tobashadow New Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Well, THERE is your problem.  You are putting P3AT mags in a P32 (or vice versa).   ;D

Glad you got it sorted out and are getting a new mag.  Keep in mind you might just have the same problem and need to clean up some of that mold flashing.

-Scott
    [/quote]

Hmm someone needs a course on reading. ;D

I wasnt the OP with the problem im using P32 mags in a P32 with 100% reliabilty.

I was just commenting on Kel-Tec's customer support. :)

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    No kidding. It was a funny about P32 stuff in his P3AT thread. Apparently it didn't work well. But since you came back with it why was it a comparison for the P32 to the LCP3AT instead of the P3AT which would be a direct comparison?

-Scott

14. Tobashadow

Tobashadow New Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Well to answer your question.

After alot of reading here and talking with the old guy thats the dealer here that wont BS me when i asked about the LCP, he was basicly if you want something the size of that LCP but 100% reliable out of the box after a bit of lube get the P32 which he has sold to dozens of officers for backups and never had one complaint back from them.

But the P3at and the LCP have been nothing but nightmares, except for the P3at's that seem to have been made in the last 6 mons or so.

This is from someone wanting a happy customer not just a sale.

People have there own choices but to me the higher round capacity, the useabilty of +P ammo to make up the difference in size and the locking slide and out of the box no fluff and buff reviews sold it for me.

15. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    I am not sure what you are saying here. There is no such thing as a "+P" standard for .32ACP (or .380ACP) if that is what you mean. Ammo marked as such is just for advertising flair. CorBon did this for a while but stopped, I think because they joined SAAMI.

The pluses for the P-32 are:
    -extra round in mag
    -slide lock
    -lower recoil
    -smaller and lighter (a tiny bit)
    -better track record of reliability out of the box

The pluses for the P-3AT are:
    -more powerful round
    -better expansion of bullet
    -no slide lock
    -less expensive ammo
    -better ammo availability
    -no rimlock issue

The slide lock is a double-edged sword: it is convenient, but if it fails, it can stop your pistol after each shot, requiring two hands to clear each time. Spence had this happening with his P-40 just the other day: P-40 Thread.