P3AT magazine dropping out

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Boomologist, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Boomologist

Boomologist New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Hi,
    Purchased a P3AT at a gun show a few weeks back and really like everything about it. Haven't had any problems with it firing or jamming. The only issue is that sometimes the magazine will get released when I don't want it to. Like when it's in my pocket something pushes on the button and the mag pops partially out. Or when shooting I accidentally press on the mag release button and the mag falls out. Seems the mag release should have been located in another place or have a bottom clip.
    Anyone else have this problem?
    Is there a cure for this?

2. Galahad

Galahad New Member

Jan 4, 2010
    My brother has that problem when he;s shooting. He squeezes too hard and it pops right out.

3. goodbrewing

goodbrewing New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    It has been mentioned by a few others in the past. Some folks take a file or dremel to the button and make it smaller other have put holes in their holsters to prevent it.
    Good luck.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG

(and congrates ;) )

5. Boomologist

Boomologist New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    I would be interested in hearing from anyone who modified the button and how well it worked.
    I also purchased a Ruger LCP at the same time. Was noticing the way the grip is designed it somewhat protects the button from accidental push by shielding it. Is there an after market grip that has a recess or shield for the button?
    Anyone tried making a latch for the bottom of the grip?
    Sure wouldn't want the magazine to fall out about the time I needed to protect myself.

6. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    My magazine would get released in my back pocket when I would sit on it in a pocket holster. I removed the mag release (unnecessary) and sanded it down to make it shorter. This solved my issue completely.

Welcome to KTOG.

Billy

7. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    I had the same problem with sitting on the button. I just put a hole in the holster. This leather one I just cut a hole. On the nylon one before this version, I burned a hole in with a little piece of pipe that I heated up and presse onto the holster (Ever see "behind the green door?). This put the hole in and sealed the fibers so they wouldn't unravel.
    Zoom in on the pics and you can see them. Fixed the problem completly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I filed mine down almost flush with the grip [still works ok by pressing] and eliminated the problem. Don't be afraid to do it.

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, these mag catches are taller than they need to be. Whether or not it's a problem depends on your carry method. Filing them down is commonly done. Just take off a little and test it for a while. If need be, take it down some more, incrementally, until it works for you.

10. boomologist-

Check your private messages- you have a late Christmas present that needs delivery