P3AT mag wont stay locked

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Simple_Man, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Simple_Man

Simple_Man New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Hi all - I've lurked here a few times, and based on the good I've read, I've decided to go and buy a P3AT since the gun shop had it on sale Anyway, I brought it home last night, and put 1 magazine (6 rounds) threw it of UMC 95 gr ball (and it shot great!) but now the magazine will not stay latched in place if there is any ammo in it.  If it's empty, the mag seats and locks in place just fine.

I did notice that the magazine release button is more "out" when the magazine is not inserted, and when I do insert the magazine, the mag catch / release button only returns about 1/2 of the way to the position they do when there is no magazine.

Is this something I can "tweak" and fix myself? Or should I just send it off to Kel-Tec?

2. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    With the release not returning fully outward is sounds
    like the magazine is not fully seated.

I had a new mag with the same problem, this is what fixed mine.

I removed the base plate and sanded(600 grit or higher)
    the top of the base plate.(non-Kel Tec side)
    I laid the sand paper flat on a table and ran the plate over it flat.

There was extra un-need plastic flashing from the manufacturing process
    that wouldn't allow the mag to fully seat.

After you get it fixed it's a good idea to hold in the mag release
    button when inserting a mag to avoid wear on the plastic mag catch.

Don't slam it, I've had over 1000 rounds through mine without a mag
    catch issue

Welcome and good luck

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    More than likely there is some flashing around the base of the weapon, top of the magazine floor plate that are preventing a complete mate. Take a sharp knife or razor blade and trim all those areas of any extra mold flash. There are multiple threads around here that have pics and stuff, but the idea is pretty basic.

This seems to fix this issue the vast majority of the time. If not, order a new mag catch and spring from KT and you can replace that yourself, again with directions found here on KTOG.

-Scott

4. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Welcome to the club Simple_Man. Hope you get it up and running ok, pleanty of good folks here to help. You made a wise choice with the P-3 and this forum. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

5. jocko

jocko Guest

u might also want to check on the bottom of the grip opening also. There could be excess flashing there causing improper insertion. It definitely is either in the magazine or grip or both, Ur release button is OK, treat it right and it will never let you down either...

6. Simple_Man

Simple_Man New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    It works now!! Wasn't the magazine plate though. I took a jeweler's file to the magazine itself where the lock catches, and gave it 3 or 4 swipes, and it works perfect now. Almost like the plating was too thick on the finish of the magazine.

7. That may do it for that particular mag, but you may run in to the same problem with back up mags. If so, try the removal of the excess flashing as suggested. The problem is not at all uncommon.

Oh yeah... welcome to the club, and have a sip of Kool-Aide!

8. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    First I've heard of that, glad it's working.
    It'll be interesting to see if you have the same trouble with another mag.

Welcome and good luck