P3AT Mag drops out

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by SCfatboy, Mar 4, 2009.

1. SCfatboy

SCfatboy New Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Purchased a P3AT and fired and cycled around 200 rounds thru the firearm.  I began carrying in ankle holster as I have to wear suit and tie.  Unfortunately, the magazine has dropped or released without cause and fallen to the floorboard of my car once and a 2nd time to the floor of a client's home when I was making a sales presentation.   I noticed that the mag release appears to be vinyl or plastic and I am wondering if this is cause of problem.  Any one else run across this?  I keep magazine fully loaded.

Thanks for the help with the above problem.

As many of you commented, the problem was not directly P3AT related. The ankle holster caught the mag release button right in the wrong spot. I simply cut a small "v" in the holster around the mag release button and have had no problems. I even ran up and down the street a few hundred yards and the mag did not move. Accordingly, problem is fixed. It was not related to the Kel Tec, just operator error.

2. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    SCfatboy,

I had this happen when in a pocket holster in my back pocket. When I would sit down the release would get pushed and the mag would release. It did not fall out because my pocket contained it but the gun was not usable with the mag loose. To solve my problem I simple sanded the "button" side of the release until it was nearly flush with the grip. I removed the release to make it easier and to prevent sanding the grip but that may be unnecessary. It has never happened again.

I hope this helps. You could be looking for a job if it were to fall to the floor at the wrong time.

Billy

3. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I have heard a worn mag catch can cause the magazine to release accidentally and cause a FTF. Some like myself have made their own metal mag catch but there are options in the trading post to purchase metal mag catches.

4. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    This is the answer you were looking for. This is the first mod I made to both mine and I could not be happier. I have not ever had a drop (that I can remember) since doing it. Easy fix, takes 30-60 seconds.

5. enigma4you

enigma4you New Member

I have an ankle holster for my P3AT. I have had the mag drop once. I did an adjust ment of how I wore the holster and have not had the problem since. I would look at the holster design instead of the gun

6. SCfatboy

SCfatboy New Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Thanks for assistance. Will review all options and advice.

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    SC - as an attorney I, unfortunately, have to wear a suit every now and then. Let me give you my words of advice - get that pistol off your ankle and up where you can use it. (Said seriously but not demandingly.) Get it into a pocket or if necessary a www.smartcarry.com which is what I do if it absolutely no matter what has to be undetectable. While it may be comforting to know that you have it with you (on your ankle) there are very few situations where you are actually personally threatened where it would do you any good there. And in those situations where you would have time to get to it you probably are looking at defending other people which you might want to think twice about.

-Scott

8. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I use a convertible pocket holster from http://www.pocketholsters.com/Kel-Tec_Pocket_Wallet_Holster/kel-tec_pocket_wallet_holster.html for pocket carry. I've never had the mag on my P3AT or my LCP pop out in this holster. I also have a belt clip on my P3AT and a P3AT belt clip on my PF-9. I've never had the mag pop out carrying this way either. (I originally thought I wouldn't like the belt clip carry method but actually after deciding to experiment with it, I love it.) I even removed the raised edge around my mag release that the factory molds in because I wanted it to feel more like my LCP. I am better able to find the mag release now. Even doing this has not caused my mag to pop out a single time.