P3at mag blow up

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by 3x9mmcpl, Aug 9, 2008.

1. 3x9mmcpl

3x9mmcpl New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    I have a gen 1 P3at with 2 mags. I probably have 2500 plus rounds thru it. I carry it or my P-11
    The last range trip one of mt P3at mags launched the follower up thru the mag lips. I reassembled it and had the same problem. Is this fixable or do I purchase two new mags as I probably have about the same number of rounds thru both mags. Has anyone else had this problem??
    This little gun likes almost all brass casee ammo

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    KTs mags have the same lifetime warranty that their pistols do. I would send both mags back to momma with a letter of explanation and ask for replacements. Actually, now that I think about it I think I would send the broken one back only assuming the other doesn't look in any way like it might follow suit. I might then also ask KT whether I have to worry about the other one just as old following suit?

-Scott

3. 2500 rounds?.....WOW..........sounds like the mag lips are just worn out....or the follower is worn out.....but, yeah....swap them mags out!

Even if Kel-Tec balks....which I doubt.... time to replace them.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That's quite a few rounds through 2 mags.  You could spend a buck, return the mag, and in a week or so, get a new one.  Or, try the follower from the remaining good mag in the spent one.  If it works with the other follower, then you know the problem, so long as the tubes are not cracked or anything.   Call service and ask them to send you a couple of new followers.  You should get them in about 3 days.  Heck, ask nicely and they'll probably send you 2 mag springs and you can rebuilt both mags.

5. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    In the 1G, the straight (unmodified) ramp would often hit the noses of the bullets, creating the "smileys" that were the subject of much discussion.  When the mag was empty, the ramp would hit the front of the follower, which would cause a dent, and would also cause the back of the tube to crack/split near the corners of the feed lips.  Over time, my guess is the lips separated due to the cracks, and the spring tension pushed the follower right out of the top of the mag.

Solution:  rampectomy + new mags under warranty from Kel-Tec.