P3AT lock up

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by kane365, Apr 26, 2011.

1. kane365

kane365 New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    O.k. here's the short version. I took out the take down pin and tried to pull the slide off but it wouldn't budge so i tried to give it a little muscle to it and i ended up pulling the trigger. Now the hammer blacks the slide from one end and it's stuck from going out the other. Any ideas to get the hammer up or get the slide off?

2. rebootit

rebootit Active Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    Push down on the top of the barrel at the breach end. Should make it drop down a fraction of an inch and unlock the slide.

3. kane365

kane365 New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    no luck the barrel won't move an inch. I think something is wrong with the slide. Is it possible to remove the frame from the grip with the slide still on?

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    sometimes the groove that the head of the recoil rod digs into the frame will not allow the recoil rod (thus the barrel/slide assembly) to come off easily.

the solution is a soft faced hammer and some serious strikes to the back of the slide. once off, remove any ridge there and tapper the frame fit

5. rebootit

rebootit Active Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    I have had the same problem but always have been able to push down in the barrel a slight click and make it release. I don't see any ridge there but if this is why it happens I will smooth that area out a bit.

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Just a friendly reminder, your finger should not have been inside the trigger guard while working on a gun, should it? ;)

7. kane365

kane365 New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah but i made sure it was empty and the ammo was in a different place.

It was the guide rod that was giving me trouble so thats one problem down, thanks guys.
    But during the first few min of the crisis I started to tinker with the pins to see if it would make a difference and now the hammer isn't hitting the firing pin. :-[
    Does anyone have any tips that could help.?

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    ot--oh, not the metal pin :eek:

9. rebootit

rebootit Active Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    Yeah, don't take it out. But if you did not all is lost. Look at the blow up diagram that came with your owners manual. It shows clearly how the bock is installed. It is a royal PIA to get back but can be done. Easiest way I have found is put pin in little way then spring. Then wedge the block in with a pair long thin needle nosed pliers. and work the pin all the way across. If that makes any sense. Make sure you have the block facing the right way.

10. kane365

kane365 New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    does the pin go through the spring and the block? Also does the spring end go in the little pin hole of the block?

11. rebootit

rebootit Active Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    Yes to both. And it is possible to put the thing in backwards, almost easier to do so. So look at the diagram and make sure you have it right or the gun will not fire.

12. kane365

kane365 New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    SUCCESS ;D ;D!!!!! My P3AT is up and running! Thanks for the help guys!

13. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    ewetub has some p3at disassembly/assembly posts on it. They have helped me in the past. glad you got it back together. Atleast now you know your gun a little better.
    have fun and be safe,
    lop