p3at jamming

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by smoothandeasy123, Oct 16, 2007.

1. smoothandeasy123

smoothandeasy123 New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    just went to the range to shoot my new p3at. first clip i used speer gold dots 90 gr gdhp with no problems, i reloaded the clip with remingtons 95 gr mc l380ap and jammed after first shot. i cleared it and it continued to jam. i reloaded the clip again with the same ammo and had the same results. i didn't have anymore of the speer gold dots with me to see if it would have the same result. anyone else have problems with certain ammo or with what i used? thanks willy

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Welcome, and you may want to check out the fluff and buff posts and get it cleaned and polished up.  

As an aside, I am guessing your biggest problem is that the P3AT uses magazines.  The clips may have been causing the jams.
    [​IMG]

-Scott

3. Phi502

Phi502 New Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Was this a failure to load or extract? I just took my new 3At to the range for the first time yesterday straight out of th box. I shot six rounds of Remington golden saber with no problems. Then I shot 50 rounds of Remington UMC. With the UMC I had one failure to load. Anyone else have experience with this ammo? But 1 out of 56 rounds isn't too bad I guess.

4. smoothandeasy123

Sep 27, 2007
    thanks guys i'll try this before the next trip to the range. i'll try a new magazine as well ;)

5. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG sae! These light pistols need a stiff wrist to function properly.

Operator induced malfunctions can happen with a superlight gun like this, and there's no shame in it.

Tips for locking your wrist:

TWO HANDED:

1. Place strong hand on grip with finger alongside trigger guard.
    2. Cup weak hand as if you were going to drink water from it.
    3. Rotate weak hand 45 degrees toward your body.
    4. Place palm against front of strong hand fingers, with thumbs nearly parallel.
    5. Line up on target and push forward with strong hand while pulling back with weak hand.
    This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

If you have malfunctions while firmly using this grip--Then it's the gun.

SINGLE HAND GRIP:

1. Line up on target.
    2. strain hand forward as if you were trying to get the gun closer to the target.

SHOOTING FROM THE HIP

To shoot from close in with one hand, do the same straining forward, but lock your elbow so the hand can't actually GET forward. This works from 90 degrees or even from the hip--By tensing your arm muscles. You should practice both.

Packer.

6. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    I recommend a finger extension on your extra magazine, which can give better control regardless of ammo, especially during break-in. After checking the buttonhead for tightness, try a hundred rounds of cheap ammo that it will feed before considering drastic action.

(click picture to see finger extensions in a P-3AT)
    [​IMG]
    Wilson – who’s certain finger extensions cure all P-3AT ills :)

7. smoothandeasy123

Sep 27, 2007
    phi502, it was a failure to reload.

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Was the empty catridge out of the way? Would the next round ultimately load with a "bump" to the slide with your hand? Assuming so, you are very likely going to be just fine with a good cleaning and heavy lube. A quick fluff and buff and feed ramp polish can also do a lot with your (common) situation.

-Scott

9. smoothandeasy123

Sep 27, 2007
    yes adam, the spent shell was out of the way. majority of the ammo if i bumped the slide it would load. thanks willy

10. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That is usually a typical break-in issue. More rounds down range or a little fluff and buff along with proper lube will get you going. See links posted by burley.

11. smoothandeasy123

Sep 27, 2007
    i plan on doing a f&p thursday, thanks

12. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Yeah, I had my first experience with it this weekend...horrible for me. FTFeed after 28 rounds and then sometimes three in a row after that. Ended up not even opening the second box (my brother shot up the rest of the first 50rd brick). Finished off with a mag-full of WinRangers with no issues so it wasn't simply due to the pistol being dirty.

I'm going to give CCI Blazers a chance next. Probably pick up a brick at Wally World later.