P3AT Jamming

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by broker, Dec 19, 2007.

1. broker

broker New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Just ran across this forum on the net.

Has anyone had problems with the P3AT jamming? Kel Tec has worked on my gun twice. Still have problems with the gun jamming and not ejecting the shell.

I carry the pistol in my business and love the concealability but it scares me to think of having to use it in a defensive situation.

My serial # begins with HB####. Are there any problems with this particular batch?

Thanks.

2. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Don't know what KT has already done to your gun, but your s/n is old enough that you may have the old style extractor. Look at the first post in this thread to see if you have the old or the new style extractor. If you have the old style, call KT service dept and ask for an extractor, extractor spring and button head screw.

You should also check that the button head screw on your extractor spring is tight. If it's even a little loose it will cause extraction problems.

These are just the first things to check. If that doesn't work let us know and we can get you some more info.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG
    A little more detail in how it is jamming is needed.

If the spent round is still under the ejector is one type of problem
    Due to the light weight, this pistol REQUIRES the shooter to resist the motion of the frame during recoil so the slide will go all the way back and eject the spent round.

Have you let anyone else shoot the pistol and see if it works with them.

If the slide pulls away and spent round is out os ejector, but trying to go back in chamber, it could be a couple things. The loose, or dull extractor as Zeke mentioned
    (Is yours a 2nd or 1st generation, i.e. do you have a screw holding the extractor or a roll pin)

How long ago did KT work on it. There has been a change to the chamber that allows a little more room for the barrel to tip down and not push the spent round free

As you see a little more info is needed

4. broker

broker New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Thanks for the speedy replies.

The jamming actually occurs in one of two ways: The spent shell doesn't eject completely out or the next round doesn't fully load into the chamber.

The last time it was at Kel-Tec, the repair work order shows internal parts were replaced (the trigger was jammed) and the feed ramp was polished.

And yes, my son-in-law fired the pistol and had the same problem. He and I have been handgun owners most of our life and I am familiar with firing a weapon limp wristed.

I went to the Kel-Tec site and downloaded the current instruction and parts manual and the extraction parts are different from my pistol. My pistol has part numbers: 180 Extractor, 182 Extractor Spring, 184 Extractor Pin, and also has a 174 Firing Pin Screw in the top of the slide.

Thanks.

5. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Ahhhh . . . you have a First-Generation P-3AT. You may need the old style hanggie down extractor (originally used in the P-32) replacement if the ejector doesn't do it. Call 1-800-515-9983 Service Dept for a new extractor in addition to a new ejector.

Wilson – who’s looking for a picture to post :)

6. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Here you go. The first-generation extractor is on the bottom of the picture (second-gen at top) but it is upside-down from the way it is installed. The pointed portion that is up in this picture would be hanging down when installed. If Kel-Tec sends you an extractor without that little hanggie down point there is only a 50/50 chance of it extracting properly.

[​IMG]

Wilson – who’s a big fan of the First-Generation P-3AT :)

7. broker

broker New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Thanks for the reply.

My gun also has a part 194 Recoil Spring Catch and a screw in the top of the slide. These are not shown in the new instruction manual.

Also, the part #115 Ejector looks different.

How many variations are there to this particular model?

Thanks.

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    There are two for the P3AT

Yours being refered to as 1G and the one being shown on website as 2G.

As Wilson said, there are two profiles to your 1G extractor tip One that is iffy and one thats better.
    I'm not familair which is better

However, IF you send a 1G to KT, you might get a 2G back with your serial number. Some think the 1G is better and much better looking

9. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    The new style ejector (#115) will work in your P-3AT. There are many different styles of part 115 and any will work in a first-generation P-3AT. The extractor systems are very different.

Kel-Tec will close tomorrow (probably early) and will not open again until January 7, 2008, so you best call early tomorrow. Request a new ejector part #115 plus 1st generation parts, 184, 180 (with the hanggie down thing not the flat style) and 182.

Try the ejector first to see if it solves your problem. if it doesn’t, get a couple of big rubber bands, a proper sizes punch and an ice-cream stick (I use the ones that can be found in Kraft Caramels) so you can install the new extractor. If you own a well designed C-clamp these make-do’s may not be necessary but you don’t have an excuse to buy the candy.

Remember, if you mess it up, you can always box up the parts and Kel-Tec will reassemble it for you next year :)

Wilson – who’s wondering if he should dissemble a first-gen, just to see if he can still put it back together :D

10. broker

broker New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    I appreciate the replies.

However, this is getting confusing. What is the most reliable way to go?

Would I be better off just scrapping this gun and buying a new one.

Is the 2nd generation P3AT reliable or is there another company who makes a similar gun which is more reliable?

Thanks.

11. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    As far as which is better 1G or 2G, i don't have any personal experance with a 1G.

Now selling the gun to one here would be an option (and possibly a good one for who ever gets it).  But remeber it has a life time warranty.  If you don't mind the possibility of getting a 2G back, send it to KT.

Then agian, there might be someone desiring it enough to make it worth while to sell it ;)

12. broker

broker New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Well, from my experience, a 1G (I assume you are referring to 1st generation) is unreliable.

Is a 2G reliable?

Thanks.

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I own a pair of 1st gen P3s and they work quite well.  My opinion is that, on the whole, they were not as refined as the 2nd gen guns which do seem to be more reliable.  1st gen guns were often ammo-selective and had more extraction issues than do the current models.  The newer version is a tad heavier and has a different extractor system which, while not as ascetically pleasing, seems to work better.  You might have better luck with a 2nd gen pistol.

I hate to, but I have to ask...  are you sure you aren't limp-wristing the gun.  It is very easy to do and will cause extraction/feeding issues without fail, especially in the lighter, 1st gen model.  Many an experienced shooter has no frame of reference for the power to weight ration of these guns.  You can not allow it to break your wrist.  It must have solid support for the slide to function properly, extract the empty and feed the new round.

Check the extractor to make sure it is not chipped, dull, or gunked up.  Clean and lube properly with grease on the slide rails, hammer interface and barrel lugs.  Do try a couple of different brands of ammo.  Make sure you don't limp-wrist it.  If it still malfunctions, call KT service after Jan 7.  Tell them the history and ask for a call tag.  They may pay to have it picked up and shipped back for service.  They may even replace it with a 2nd gen gun although they are not required to and I wouldn't expect it.  They should, however, make it right (lifetime warranty).  

14. broker

broker New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    I assure you I am not firing it limp wristed. I have been using firearms most of my life.

My son-in-law has also fired the pistol with the same results.

I have been reading some reviews on the P3AT. One review stated upfront it was a review of a 2nd generation and was a somewhat favorable review.

Other than that, I haven't found any reviews that were favorable.

Thanks.

15. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yea, most people react this way to the suggestion of limp-wristing.  I'm not saying you are, but I am saying that a lifetime of shooting 2 lb pistols has nothing to do with shooting this gun.  The same would hold true for your son-in-law.  Note this post today from someone who has been shooting all of his life too.  After sending his gun in for repair, he got it back and it did the same thing.  Finally, he realized he was limp-wristing it, corrected it and presto, the gun works perfectly.  And this was with a P11 which is not as prone to limp-wristing as the P3AT.

Regarding favorable reviews on the P3AT, there are plenty, including about 1000 right here.  ;)

However, perhaps you should get something bigger, heavier and more confidence inspiring for you. These guns are not for everyone, that's for sure.

16. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    I have yet to find a P-3AT I can’t get working properly in less than two hours of my time. If you want to dump that FG-P-3AT and it hasn’t been abused I’ll go $100 shipped to my FFL.

Wilson – who’s always looking for a challenge :)

17. broker

broker New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Limp wristed is not the problem.

Apparently something is wrong or Kel-Tec wouldn't be making the changes.

Thanks for the replies.

18. Rich

Rich New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    I had a problem with mine - either failing to eject or jamming about every 5th round. Kel Tec replaced the barrel and slide. I've now shot over 100 rounds without a single problem.

19. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I don't know if your problems occur with more than one brand/type of ammo or not. have you tried others? I use Speer Gold Dot 90gr. JHPs in mine.

PshootR