Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new P3AT (gen 2) and am having two annoying issues with it.

1)  The magazine does not want to latch all the way unless I hammer the mag in if it is loaded or push forward on the base (towards barrel) when inserting the unloaded mag.  Otherwise the magacatch only comes back out half way and the mag will eject if the gun is fired.  Unfortunately my spare mags are on back order so I do not know if it is just that mag.

2)  Every other mag or so the last round fired fails to eject.  I was using Winchester white box with the flatish nosed bullet.

Any insight would be appreciated.

-Yarro

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Welcome to the group Yarro.

#1 is probably pretty easy to solve. I had several magazines where the base plate (the plastic piece at the bottom) had enough mold flash or rough plastic edges on it that it would not seat up against the bottom of the gun without some serious pressure or whack. Take a file or some sand paper or a sharp knife and smooth the edges of that plastic plate and you will probably find that it seats just fine.

OR you could order some of mod-mans finger extensions that you can find in the Trading Post section. They, like several other extensions that you will see around replace that bottom base plate.

It could also be some mold flash or rough edges around the bottom of the gun grip also preventing the mag from fully seating. Again, clean it up.

Final finishing is not a forte of a KT.

The last (and least likely possibility) is that there is actually something wrong with the mag catch up in the handle and you could get KT to send you a new one and you can replace it yourself. I am betting against this one though.

#2 - and I cant be as good here. Check the allen head screw up on the outside rightside of the slide. If that is/gets loose it can cause failures to extract. If it is loose, make sure it gets some blue locktite on it as you put it back in.

Keep shooting it and you will find that some of the roughness wears in. This little baby takes 300-500 rounds to get smooth in my experience.

-Scott

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Adding to above:

I would pull the magazine a part and besure the inside metal is cleaned, the plastic follower is clean, the spring is not in backwards and the spring is seated in the follower and on the base.

To disassemble the magazine, there is a button on the bottom. take the assembly pin and push the button in about 1/4" (or a little more). this disengages the button, which is on an inner piece from the outer base's hole. Push the base, off of the metal magazine, the pin can be used to help. It is normally hard to get it to move. should it move all of a sudden, the assembly pin in the base should hit the metal and stopp you before the spring and other two pieces jump out.

The spring should be turned so that it pushes equal on front and back of followere, the wrong way will push more on the back.

besure the spring fits all the way in the follower and is setting flat on the inner base piece when going back together.

You may want to load the magazine one less.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
yarro said:
2)  Every other mag or so the last round fired fails to eject.  I was using Winchester white box with the flatish nosed bullet.
Have you lost the ejector. It is part 115 and sits on top of the left, rear side of the frame rail. It can fall out when you field strip the gun. Remove your slide and see if there is an empty gap on the left, rear of the rame rail:

http://www.kel-tec.com/p3atparts.html

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  Have you had the gun field stripped and maybe lost part #115? The ejector will fall out and hide. The only evidence that it is missing is a big empty notch in the left rear frame.

If you have slammed the mag in, this has probably cut the plastic mag catch with the sharp mag notch. You will eventually have to replace this even if it is not causing your present problem. Call KT service at 1-800-515-9983 for a free replacement part.

In future after you get the mag to seat, always press the release button while inserting mag. This will protect the mag catch from wear.

Packer.  

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
WHAT! 2PP you didn't post the anti-limpwristing instructions.

Well since he forgot here they are;

Quote from 2PP;

Some tips: Clean and lube well--Especially the slide rails.

This gun is so light that it is easily limp wristed. That could appear to be mechanical malfunctioning.

It is nearly impossible to limp wrist this gun from a very firm, push-pull grip:

1. Place strong hand on grip with finger alongside trigger guard.
2. Cup weak hand as if you were going to drink water from it.
3. Rotate weak hand 45 degrees toward your body.
4. Place palm against front of strong hand fingers, with thumbs nearly parallel.
5. Line up on target and push forward with strong hand while pulling back with weak hand.
This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

Single hand grip:

1. Line up on target.
2. strain hand forward as if you were trying to get the gun closer to the target.
This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

If you are using one of these grips, and you get malfunctions, it is NOT limp wristing, but the gun that is causing them.

Packer.

end Packer quote.

Good advice and really works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.