p3at intro for a novice.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by manonfire1007, Oct 30, 2009.

1. manonfire1007

manonfire1007 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    My dad just bought a p3at as his first pocket gun. Here's the intro I wrote
    For him.

1. don't plan on breaking it in all at once. You likely won't want to shoot it that much.
    2. This gun depends on a firm grip and locked wrist. If the shooter doesn't give the gun enough strength to recoil against, it can't cycle and will jam. This is the nature of a light gun. This takes practice. Most shooters used to bigger guns will blame the gun. I did. Turns out I just needed practice. Best way to check this is to let someone else who is good at it shoot the gun.
    3. This is not an expensive or finely finished gun. It will likely take a bit of very fine sandpaper to the frame to smooth it out in the right areas to make it easier on your hand.
    4. This is a simple gun. Cleaning it is easy. There is one piece that can slide out if you turn the gun upside down when cleaning. Its easy to put back (it just slides back in).
    5. Carrying this gun is easy. Inside the waistband with the belt clip or just in the pocket. If in the pocket, keep everything else out of the pocket or leave the chamber empty.
    6. If you need it, you have a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service.
    7. These guns multiply. They are too cheap and useful not to have a spare or five. It is amazing how fast family and friends can borrow them until they buy their own.
    8. The sights are very basic. Some dry fire with a snap cap help with the practice.
    9. The trigger pull is LONG. The dry fire practice will teach you to stage the trigger, ie take up the slack right to the breaking point, then fire at will.
    10. Due to the size and weight, you can get creative with this gun. I built a wallet for it that made it great for pocket carry. I could put it on the table with my liberal friends at lunch and it never got a second look.
    The sky is the limit.

Good luck and enjoy the gun. If you find it isn't for you, i'll buy it from you.

2. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Hi, Do you have any pics of the wallet gun you made ? Sounds very good !!

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hope you don't mind some critical comments...

IMHO, unless I was highly, highly, highly trained I would never carry without a round in the chamber.

I personally would not train to stage the trigger. OK now and then target shooting but not, again IMHO, the thing to do practicing and training for SD.

Take care...

4. manonfire1007

manonfire1007 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I do have pics of the wallet someqhere. I'll see if I can dig them up.
    The gun can not be shot while in the wallet. We're legal.
    To each their own re 1 in the pipe. I carry mine hot.

5. ebshumidors

ebshumidors New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Good tips! I like it because its size helps in the summer

6. Robert357

Robert357 New Member

May 11, 2009
    WA, the State
    Just a point of information: Certain kinds of "wallet holsters" are illegal. You might want to research the details. From what I remember, if you can put you finger in the trigger guard and fire the firearm while the handgun is still hidden inside the wallet, that means it is illegal. Again, this is something you might want to research just to make sure your "wallet holster" is legal.

I have built my own P3-AT holster for pocket carry and it has one side with a trigger cutout, but not far enough to allow your finger to pull the trigger, but far enough so it aids in drawing and quickly firing the pistol.

7. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
  8. JB-Norcal

JB-Norcal New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    It sounds like Dad knows what he's talking about if the intro reflects his knowledge.
    For me, I think it's safer to always assume that a hand gun is loaded and that means chambered.
    I was raised "Handguns Hot, Long guns Not. ;)

9. DaveTec

DaveTec New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Here's mine I just got in the mail today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Specially for the p3at with the crimson trace option. The back panel hinges, so you can get your hand in for rapid deployment.