p3at, in .22?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by superman77532, Mar 30, 2009.

1. superman77532

superman77532 New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    p3at barrel

does anyone make an aftermarket barrel for the p3at?

2. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Re: p3at barrel

No.

rc

3. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008

Just wondering, what would you be looking for in a aftermarket barrel?

CJ

4. Celtic_Warrior

Celtic_Warrior New Member

Feb 15, 2009

Sorry I don't mean to hijack this but I've been thinking (this, most of the time is a dangerous sport for me) but the 1911 45's have a kit: barrel, slide and magazine to convert them to 22LR. I guess it was done so during war and peace time so the troops could practice with the cheaper and more plentiful ammo, this is my assumption no facts to back it up but why else.

With the current ammo shortage plus how cheap 22 ammo is all the time (a brick of 500 for ~$22) the Kel Tec models would be the ideal platform for such a kit. I think Kel Tec does this for their PLR-22 and SU-22 and there are aftermarket kits, for the PLR-22 and SU-22, out on the web.

What do you all think?

5. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008

Wow, what a great idea !! If they could turn this into say a .22 for target use they would own the market and blow away the competition. I hope Kel-Tec gets wind of this great idea !!

6. camoxjeep

camoxjeep New Member

Mar 25, 2009

these kinds of remarks are what ruin great boards and keeps new gun owners from getting any type of advise or info >:( And you are about as new here as I am....... Not new to guns at all just new to KT.

Anywho, I have 22 conversions for my Beretta M9 and AR. Bought my wife a Walther P22. We shoot 22's all the time to save money. Better to shoot something than nothing at all. Plus you can practice moves, drills and anything else much cheaper. Does KT make a 22? I have no idea as this is my first KT.

7. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

The idea of a .22LR P-3x type pistol is not new, and Mr. Kellgren knows about it but isn't the least bit convinced the economics of such a product would be healthy for his company.  They do make a .22LR pistol already - the PLR-22.

8. cookieruffruff

cookieruffruff New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    does any one else want to see a kt in .22 that looks like a p.32/p3at i sure would. cause of the ammo crunch,i and others have been resorting to our .22's, just so i and or others can get some range time in.[hope notradamus aint right]............where is that magic ammo genie when ya need her?...bb gun, no help.......................................

:'(

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
  10. JB

JB Guest

Several of us (myself included), in various threads, have expressed a desire for a P3AT 'look-alike' in .22LR with the same trigger weight, etc.  Not only would it make for inexpensive practice but such could make for a great pocket .22, in general.  Of course, if KT were to make one, such would likely not be simply a .22 version of the P3AT - it would probably be blowback instead of locked breech, for instance.

Small pocket autos seem to be KT's bread and butter.  There are .22lr's which are roughly the size of the P3AT but the ones I have seen either cost more than even the P3ATs/P32s or are not of comparable quality to KT products.  Even the Phoenix .25 I recently picked up (same size/roughly the same weight as their .22 with the 3 inch barrel) is bigger and heavier than my P3AT.  Also, while it is loads of fun to shoot and surprisingly accurate, the Phoenix is certainly not in the same class, quality wise, as my P3AT.  Maybe there is some reason KT isn't already making a pocket .22 but it just seems like a natural fit, to me.

11. kitsap_charly

kitsap_charly New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    This has been mentioned for years...never happens. Sure would be nice.
    :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

12. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I think the way to go would be for Kel-Tec to sub-contract out and market a .22 conversion kit. I doubt that they want to devote the R&D and production facilities to what would likely be a fairly low volume operation. With ammo prices skyrocketing a .22 or .22 conversion would seem to be more and more desirable every day now.

13. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I'd love to see a P-22 based on the P3 design and/or a PF-22 based on the PF-9. I could afford to get in a lot of range time then. As it is, I only get to shoot a mag or two every so often. :-/

14. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I'd settle for a quality "P3AT" Airsoft pistol. Got a Glock 26 gas blowback Airsoft that is great for practice and is even much cheaper than if I used a .22 conversion for my real Glock 26. As you might imagine there would be sveral pros and cons .22 vs. Airsoft.

15. Tractiongrips

Tractiongrips New Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Bethlehem, GA
    I'd take one if it came out at around $250 or so, maybe $300 if they shipped them out at in a high capacity mag version.

16. Haku

Haku New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Texas

I had a beretta Bobcat in .22LR, that gun sucked. It jammed everyother round and the slide would bite the tar out of me.

17. timewrench

timewrench New Member

May 9, 2009

I've got a Ceiner 22 conversion for the 1911. Needed a little tuning, but great fun to shoot. Actullay the frame I used was an alloy one with a cracked frame rail. I pinned the rail and now it is a dedicated .22. My Amt Backup in .22 also needed a little love to get it be reliable.Both pistols give me cheap range time. Maybe a group buy from Ceiner for a P3AT conversion. The sqeaky wheel and all that! Than again you would be putting a $200? conversion on a pistol that didn't cost much more that that.

Tom