P3AT Hammer Question

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bobsellers, Aug 31, 2010.

1. bobsellers

bobsellers New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Hello all, nice BBS you have here. I have a P3AT and my question is that when I pull the trigger, the hammer leans to the right, brushes the frame slightly and then returns to the middle of the frame. IE, it leans to the right as I pull the trigger.

Everything fires just fine and feels fine, nothing weird, it just sags to the right and rubs the frame on the hammer's rearward travel.

Normal or No?

thanks
    bob

2. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Pretty normal.

All the force applied to the hammer by the trigger bar is applied to the right bottom side of the hammer. That tilts it to the right until it is released by the trigger bar slipping off when it reaches the full cock let-off stage.

Whatever slop there is in the hole for the pin in the hammer, and side clearance in the frame is taken up by the force required for the trigger bar to cock it.

If it Feeds, Fires, and Functions Freely?
    Forget about it.

rc

3. bobsellers

bobsellers New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Thank you very much, that's great news about the hammer being normal. I have about 200 rounds down range with the KT and had to do the usual fluff and buff routine, thanks to this site. I stopped using WWB and now use PPU ammo pretty exclusively, with good results. The only lingering issue that occasionally creeps up is the last round will fail to eject about 2 times, per box of 50, Not often. I'm sure that has everything to do with the lack of pressure on the underside from a round in the mag. I believe a hold last shot option would have alleviated this nuance. Anyway, I drop the mag, clear the chamber and roll on, nothing terrible, it's always on the last shot of the mag.
    So far, the KelTec has been a solid gun for what it is, I just want it to go bang 7 times in a row if I really, really need it to. I'm 100% confident that the P3AT will do that every time, rapid fire.

thanks again.

4. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I'm still in the break-in phase, but we've played with Herter's (cringe), PMC, Sellier & Belloit (sp?) and PPU for range ammo. We've had the best results with PPU. Personal experience is that it just seems 'smoother' - like its not packing quite as much punch; just feeds smoothly. The other ammo we've tried had more punch - which I don't really want when blowing a bunch of rounds through at the range. Herters just gave me nightmares - fail, fail, fail - fail to feed, to eject - even to fire. Had nasty experience with Herters but PPU is what we've enjoyed shooting.

5. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Bob,

You might want to double check your extractor screw, sometimes it can cause FTE if it works loose. A bit of blue Loctite is a good idea if you have to remove it.

Do you have a second magazine to use? If not you could give KT a call and request a new spring for the mag. They should send it for free.

CJ