p3at -- full mag problem??  (from a guy on eb

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by evi1joe, Oct 10, 2007.

1. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    So there's a guy on ebay selling holsters for the P3AT (see link below). Anyway, he writes that along with sending you the holster (I already have lots of good pocket holsters, so I'm not interested), he'll include information about a pamphlet that addresses many things, including the following ones I found interesting:

"7. HOW TO AVOID RUINING YOUR PISTOL WITH A POCKET HOLSTER.
    8. PROBLEMS OF USING WRONG HANDED HOLSTERS. (WHAT SEEMS LOGICAL IS WRONG)
    9. PROBLEMS WITH A FULL MAGAZINE IN THE P3AT."
    --any ideas about what he's gonna say about #7 (i figure #8 is about how the leather covers the gun from printing even though you have to slide your fingers in between the leather and the gun), and what is #9 about?? Were there problems with full-mags putting so much pressure on the release that it would pop out even if the mag-catch was slightly depressed...as it would be when you went to pull it out??

The ad is here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CCW-POCKET-HOLS...ryZ73975QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Re: p3at -- full mag problem??  (from a guy on eb

I figure, if the guy wants to sell a holster, then just sell the holster. I'm not out looking to buy 7 pages of his opinion that he says is worth almost as much as the price of the holster. I want my opinions and insight from actual users like the great people here on KTOG.

3. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007

Well, he might have gotten all his info FROM ktog (or that other site KTsomething).
    He might be here. Now. Among us.

"Oh my god, he's calling from inside the house!"

4. Re: p3at -- full mag problem??  (from a guy on eb

Not a bad looking holster actually, and not a bad price.  Not so sure about his advice.

That is the blessing and curse of the net.  Anyone, including me, can preach what sounds like gospel but could be totally bad info.

That is why I try to gather as much info as I can and see what works for me.

As far as full mag issues, some have had problems getting the first round to feed into the pipe with a full mag.

A good fluff and buff combined with proper lubrication, will usually cure this.  Some here will put 4 or 5 rounds in the mag, cycle one into the pipe, then top off the mag. Also, a hard crisp snap with a firm grip will help cycle that first round in.

Another issue he raised is mag release in the pocket.

The chance of that can be reduce by cutting down the size of the mag release button (left side) to just above flush with the frame.

Now the good part:  For all of this highly technical and spot on info, please send a crispy five dollar bill! That is a $10 discount now... so hurry up and send it in!

5. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Will you throw in a free washer too?

-Scott

6. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004

Sometimes on new P-3ATs, some folks have reported a problem after shooting the first round when they are loaded all the way, 6+1.

This happened to my first P-3AT. I attributed it to a new/stiff magazine spring. The problem will usually correct itself as the magazine spring loosens up with use. I used and ruler to work the follower up & down a dozen or so times and it worked fine after that.

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

To check that the magazine is reassembled proper after cleaning...
    Load it with 6 rounds, then slowly push down so that the rim of the top goes below the notch in the back of the magazine.  If it won't go, feels rough or snaps as it goes it could cause a problem when inserted into the pistol.

I found the bottom lips of the follower needed a little tappering so that on the last all the coils of the spring fit inside the follower.  Sometimes the spring coils don't fit around the small bumps on the lower insert and thus the coils interfere with the follower going all the way down to the base.

But since i carry minus one, it dosen't effect me

Now for the use of the wrong hand holster.  I'm experancing that with the K&D bifold pannel and 2N1 Defender.  the right hand holster has the snap out when in the right pocket, thus limiting the room to get the right hand around the grip.  BUT in the left pocket, the snaps are agaisnt the leg and the free pannel allows easy acces with the left hand.  That is the way i now carry (weak side front pocket)

8. gb6491

gb6491 New Member

Aug 19, 2007

I have one of his holsters and like it.  In the information provided, he says his 24/7 carry is a P3AT and recommends KTOG for further information. The pages aren't bad reading as he explains the reasoning for his stated opinions; giving some food for thought. The magazine concerns are ones that have been discussed on this board. Anyway, I like the holster :):
    [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Greg

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Can you maybe elaborate just a bit? I have been around a while and this doesn't ring any bells with me.

-Scott

10. gb6491

gb6491 New Member

Aug 19, 2007

Hi Scott,
    PM sent.
    Regards,
    Greg

11. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

Hi Scott,
    [highlight]PM sent[/highlight].
    Regards,
    Greg
    [/quote]

There are others in the room that want to hear about the "mag problems" too :-/

12. ss1

ss1 New Member

Oct 3, 2007

YES !

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006