P3AT Finger Slap

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by J_Bar, Jun 19, 2009.

1. J_Bar

J_Bar New Member

May 10, 2009
    I have had my P3at for some time now. It has a Arma Laser, finger extension, rubber grip, great little firearm. Recently bought a P11 and it too is a fine firearm. The problem is the P3at slaps my poor trigger finger bad. I searched on this and it didn't seem to be a big topic. Is there something I can do?
    I enjoy shooting the P11 but the P3at is not fun at all. I still carry it most of the time, but practice is rough.

2. abq_sfr

abq_sfr New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I don't shoot my P3AT for fun... its a tool and I only practice with it to be proficient. It WILL destroy the skin on your finger. Sand down the inside of the trigger guard and wear a bandaid on your trigger finger when you go to the range. That will help, but I never shoot more than around 20 or 30 at the range. Its a real stinger!

3. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Go back to Kel-Tec products in this forum, then scroll down to (reviews) (P32 & P3AT) then down to nickle plating, down about half way is a pic of my p32, with a piece of stethascope tubing on the trigger, I also have some on my P3at. I cannot bring up any pics now because I removed something from my computer and my photobucket will not work. (fix is coming) I cut about 3/4 in of tubing, put some silicone on it, and slid it on the trigger, trimmed it, when it dried put a little drop of super glue on each end, and I can shoot till I'm tired of shooting with no sore finger. Worked for me.  KT also sells trigger shoes, my wife uses one on her pt 22. Jim <><

4. neknraw

neknraw New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    I enjoy shooting the P11 but the P3at is not fun at all. I still carry it most of the time, but practice is rough.[/quote]

I use electrical shrink tubing on my P3AT and PF9 triggers. Use search for other comments on this, I started that thread some time back.  Some use more than one layer.  I myself find one layer enough to really smooth the feel of the trigger.  Be careful using heat so you don't melt or distort anything else.  I think you will find this helps.

5. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    It is not slap, so much as it is pinch.

The trigger is too long, and pointy.
    There is also a sharp mold parting line inside the guard.
    During recoil a chunk of finger meat gets pinched between it and the trigger pointy end.

The fix is to shorten & round off the end of the trigger, and smooth the seam line in the guard with a Dremel or nail file.

You want enough room between the tip of the trigger and the guard that it can't pinch you any longer.

rc

6. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    >shrink tubing

High quality stethoscope tubing works also.

7. J_Bar

J_Bar New Member

May 10, 2009
    rc, I think your right, now that I got home and have the P3 in my hand, there is a pinch point. Especially with the Arma laser. I'm going to have to trim the trigger and figure out how to make up the difference in the step of the laser and the trigger guard. Now that I think about it, before I got the laser I don't remember it being as bad as it has been the last few times I shot it. I think I will also try a small piece of tubing. Thanks everyone

8. abq_sfr

abq_sfr New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm pretty sure mine was just as bad before the Armalaser. I'm gonna try the shrink tubing first... I always like trying reversible mods first.

9. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    My P3 was beating my hand up pretty bad.  I sanded all the mold line smooth, sanded rough spots on the grip particularly the rear frame pin.  I also shortened & straightened the trigger.

No more pinch.

[​IMG]

10. Nexttime

Nexttime New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I usually draw blood after a few shots with mine. Right around the 1st knuckle on my index finger. I'm willing to endure it for self defense use. But I will always use a bandaid for target practice. I'll have to try some tubing on the trigger guard.

11. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I have not experienced any problem with the P3, except the first time I shot it eith 2 hands, and the slide took a chunk out of my left thumb....won't hold it like that that again.
    tr

12. Mr._E

Mr._E Guest

Great tip! I've always hated the way my trigger finger got pinched. I'll try this out.

13. Robert357

Robert357 New Member

May 11, 2009
    WA, the State
    Thank you! I don't feel like such a whimp any more!

When I have gone to the range to go shooting my P3AT, after about 30 rounds, my trigger finger is sore and stays that way for several days.

I carry it every day and it is just wonderful for that. Now I have some ideas on how to reduce the finger pain, besides not going to the range.

14. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I honest to goodness cannot figure out if I am just used to it after thousands upon thousands of rounds through my firearms, but I have never, ever noticed trigger guard slap or whatever you wanna call it or even the pinch. I dunno if I grip guns differently, or if I am just numb, LOL.

It sounds like you got some good advice though. :)