P3AT Field Repair Kit

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ryanrink, Oct 28, 2008.

1. ryanrink

ryanrink New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I would like to put together some spare parts for my P3AT to have on hand. I know I can always count on Kel-Tec warranty if something breaks but that's not what I'm talking about. I want to have enough parts on hand where I can fix any eventualities. (I've posted a similiar thread in the Sub200 section)

So...What P3AT parts are most likely to wear out and need replaced?

I know some recoil springs and some ejector blocks are good to have on hand. What else? What about keeping it operational long term. One of each spring? or is that uncalled for?

2. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Guide rod.
    Extractor, spring, and screw.
    Magazine catch and spring.
    Hammer spring assembly.

3. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Toss in a set of recoil springs & I think that will cover it.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    must have
    Firing pin and spring
    extractor, spring and screw (couple extra screws)
    recoil springs

should have
    hammer spring
    magazine catch and spring
    ejector
    magazine

and a few nylon recoild guide washers ;)

5. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Nu_Agin_Shooter has a good idea...Have another gun handy ;D

John

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    It just hit me reading through the titles - another P3AT. But alas, NAS got there first.

-Scott

7. vashooter

vashooter New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Not faulting anyone, but I always wondered why someone would have two of the same gun, when they could just have 2 guns that shot the same round. For your primary carry weapon, this makes total sense. Now I only wonder what my next KT will be. Had my eye on a SUB2000, but now I'm torn. :-/

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Lots of different reasons. For me:

Number one would be/was back up. If something happens to your primary its nice to have your backup exactly the same thing that you are used to as primary. Your backup could be your second weapon on you or it could be the one in the safe until you need it.

Number two would be usage. These are not range guns. They are not designed that way. They are not designed for 10's of thousands of rounds. (If you want that go buy a more expensive full size brick). Many use the phrase carry a lot, shoot a little. Still, profficiency is important to any carrier. Some use one gun for most of the range time and don't worry about it when/if they wear things out because their primary won't have as many rounds through it - note I didn't say any - you still need to use your primary as well but not as much. When/if the heavy usage pistol wears out you can send it back to momma for a rebuild and still have your primary to keep you safe.

And that brings up number three. A backup in case something catastrophic does happen and you need to send one home to momma.

Number four. Because wifey is going to steal your first one from you anyway so you might as well get two to begin with. To this day wifey's P3AT is the only one I can say we still own...

I could go on but I think these are a few reasons for you.

-Scott

9. Scott - before you can get ANOTHER, you have to own the first one!

As to why some one would own more than one of the same gun, I suppose for me the answer is why not?

10. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Where are you supposed to get these spare parts from?

11. vashooter

vashooter New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Kel-Tec of course! ;D

12. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Number 5 - if you ever are in the horrible situation of being forced to use your weapon to defend yourself or your family, it WILL be confiscated pending a very very lengthy review.  If that is your only one you will now be defenseless in all those times you needed your P3AT for in the first place.  And, btw, good luck buying another weapon at that point.

-Scott

13. vashooter

vashooter New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Ha! Great point. Guess I'd have to go back to the Seecamp...

14. msrdiver1

msrdiver1 New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Scott:

You really hit the nail on the head.

15. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Reason one a:

Usually a New York reload is faster than the other kind.

16. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    What do you guys do? Call Kel-tec several times and get a few parts sent each time?

That's a really good point I hadn't thought of. I guess this just gives me another reason to get a PF-9 to go along with my P3AT, or maybe another P3AT or something else.