P3AT Feeding Issues

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rwils53, Mar 12, 2008.

1. rwils53

rwils53 New Member

Mar 5, 2008
    I have done the basic "fluff and buff", but still having feeding issues on my new P3AT. Have about 200 rounds shooting 50-60 at a session with 3-4 FTF(feed) and 1-2 FTE. Ramp is slick! When cycling by hand I can feel a "drag" in the cycle before the cartridge gets to the very top of the ramp. It never hangs when cycling by hand but "drags" every time. I had 0 the first range trip and thought I was going to be in good shape.

Any suggestions other than continuing to shoot for "break in". I intend to shoot 5-600 rounds before returning for repairs.

2. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Check to make sure your Button Head screw is tight and just keep shooting it.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    feed

-are you using grease on the hammer face to center slide, the lower block to pin, the upper slide the barrel block and the slide to frame rails.

-look for any raised frame metal that occured from shooting and scrape it back down. this is usually a ding opossite the ejector and the fron end of the rails.

-is the spring kinked

-is the ejector still in the frame

extraction

- besure the button head is tight

-besure the tip of extractor is sharp and clean between it and face of slide

-check the side of the slide opposite the extractor where the rim is held, besure there is NO wear there.

For the extraction, is the rim of the spent round catching on the mouth of the next round in the magazine

4. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Be forewarned that I sent one of two guns in for failure to remove the shell casing from the barrel and have been informed that any P3AT coming to the factory could expect a 6-8 week turn around time.
    Both of mine had the same problem. One fixed itself with break in of some 200 founds. Somewhere around round 125 or so it never failed again.

5. rwils53

rwils53 New Member

Mar 5, 2008

I used grease on the slide and pin but oil everywhere else lube is required. Are you saying grease in the hammer face also.

My recoil spring have a little "warp" when off the guide rod, but no kink.

Has anyone ever had aproblem with the top libs on the magazine being too tight. That is where the "drag" feles while feeding, right where the rim of the casing is exeting the magazone .

Thanks

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    To feel the effect that hammer face has, just put the slide on (no springs) and feel how much force is needed to just slide over the hammer when it is already back. I would recomend a grease product on the hammer face, I use a parrifen wax lube. To feel the real effect of the hammer on the slide you need to dry fire. Be aware the slide will NOT go on if the hammer has been fired, you need to thumb it to half cocked due to interferance with the slide.

I haven't had a need to adjust lips, and my experance with other guns messing with lips was not good.

I forgot to add in the feed suggestions is to disassemble the magazine and clean follower, be sure spent angle is correct to follower and spring coils fit in follower and on base plate, I use that wax lube inside the magazine body and on the follower. If i just push slightly on the top round, it will "shoot" from the magazine.

I use the assembly pin to push the button on the bottom of the magazine in, then the pin helps with sliding the base off, and if it moves quickly, the pin being in that 1/8" catches on the body so the base and spring don't fly off.

BEFORE sending it back, at least call KT, ask for service, tell them your problem...If they don't offer, ask for a new extractor, spring and a couple screws