P3AT Feed Me

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by theheater905, Feb 15, 2008.

1. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    This gun likes everything has given me zero problems and has performed flawlessly. It is a second generation gun. Ammunition tried so far :

WWB FMJ Ball
    Rem. FMJ Truncated
    Amer Eagle 95 gr FMJ Ball
    Cor Bon 80 gr DPX
    Cor Bon 90 gr JHP ( Gray Box )
    Speer GD 90 JHP

2. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Is it chrome, parkerized, or blued? Do you lubricate the mag, bullets, chamber? Do you see smileys that are none, small, or large? To what do you attribute this success?

My dry lubed on everything chrome with small smileys eats anything too, so I don't understand why some have problems.

3. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    The gun is a second gen and is parkerized. The only thing done to it was KT polished the feed ramp. I had brought in my PF9 for service and asked if they would polish the ramp on the P3AT, they did .. no charge. I figured since I was there may as well ask. I have done nothing else to the gun except shoot it.
    I just clean and lube the gun with Synthetic EEZOX. So far I have not cleaned the mags and do not see any indication of Smileys. I guess I have been lucky with this one. My PF 9 is a bit more finickey with ammo, if I feed it what it likes its been reliable too.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Do you call your P3AT Audrey

5. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
  6. Bigsteve

Bigsteve New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Sorry for the newby question... What are smileys and what are they caused from. And I don't mean the ones like this :cool:

Bigsteve

7. Bigsteve

Bigsteve New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Sorry for the newby question...  What are smileys and what are they caused from.  And I don't mean the ones like this   :cool:

Bigsteve
    [/quote]

Sorry to reply to my own post... Any help here on what "smileys" are? Are small ones better than big ones?

Bigsteve

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    [​IMG]

This is a smiley. It is caused by the next round in the mag hitting the bottom of the feedramp. The smaller the better. None is best. In an extreme case they can cause the bullet to set back further in the casing and cause feed problems or worse, over pressure. They have pretty much been eliminated with a feed ramp design change years ago but every now and then someone still has some and some small filing of the bottom of the feedramp can cure them.

There is an FAQ type post around regarding them but I don't have the time to find it right now as I am heading out the door. Someone else will or I will after I get back this afternoon.

-Scott

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    This article was written to deal with the smiley issue as it existed in the 1st gen guns in which the "problem" was more severe.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/smiley.htm

Many guns still produce them to some degree which is related to OAL and the profile of the round being fired. I suppose it may be the result of cramming a 380 round into a platform originally developed for the 32 cal. A poster here recently posted some findings which indicated that smileys affected JHP performance. However, there have been many such tests in years past that showed little effect. Unless they are really severe, which is unusual with the 2nd gen's curved feed ramp, most folks don't worry about them. In fact, most don't even notice them. The bad guy will likely not notice if his bullet was smiling at him.

10. Bigsteve

Bigsteve New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Thank you for the explanation! :)
    Bigsteve

11. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    The only ammunition I've ever experienced problems with were WWB. I attributed it to the blunted, or non-rounded bullet nose.

I'm glad to hear you are having such success :)