Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post. I lurked, I bought, I fluffed and buffed and then shot over 350 rounds with not one failure. I love this gun. I'm not really a gun nut. I grew up shooting cans with my trusty single six but not much since. I had a glock 23, to big. I was looking at a PF9 when the gun dealer guy handed me his P3AT. I had to have one. I have done a few mods but I am no gunsmith. After lurking here awhile I felt confident to tackle the small stuff. I had fun working on my gun and it was really easy. I have never been to a range. but after taking some time to adjust the laser sight I am a beer can assasin at 20 yards.
   I seems like on forums you mostly hear about the bad stuff. I just wanted to write and say my kel-tec is all good. I trust it 100% and would recomend the same gun to anyone.
Craig

·
Registered
755 Posts
I feel the same way. I think the vast majority of the p3at's out there are great guns, and most people post to air grievances. Mine has went "bang" every time, and I am deadly accurate within self defense range. It goes where I goes. Love it.

+1, hail p3at!!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Craig,

Welcome to KTOG as a member!

Great to read your positive report. Really like the black and OD look on the P3AT. Almost bought a 2nd P3AT that was blued with an OD grip but was turned off when the dealer wanted extra money over his black grip P3ATs. Happy ending though as I was able to snag a HC model about a week later, from a different dealer, and for $5.00 less than what the first dearler was wanting for his OD grip blued P3AT.

Again nice shooting and nice looking gun.

Take care...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Craig, I'd like to join in in welcoming you to the KTOG and thank you for your post! It's refreshing to see such a positive post. We all know that there are thousands of KT's out there that work flawlessly but we hardly ever hear from the satisfied shooters. ;D

·
Registered
88 Posts
:D Just picked up a new gray/black P-3AT today. I polished the feed ramp and oiled it up before dashing into the woods for a few quick rounds. Definately more recoil than the P-32 I just sold but I feel like the little extra bite just means more problems for a BG. No problems of any kind so far.

·
Registered
898 Posts
garyg said:
:D Just picked up a new gray/black P-3AT today. I polished the feed ramp and oiled it up before dashing into the woods for a few quick rounds. Definately more recoil than the P-32 I just sold but I feel like the little extra bite just means more problems for a BG. No problems of any kind so far.
GaryG,

Way to go!!  :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I started out wanting a camping/survival gun. Something that I could throw into my back pac, fanny pac, camel bak, ect and leave it there. I do alot of mountain biking and hiking and there are some scary people in the middle of nowhere, not to mention the critters. The P3AT is perfect. small, light, cheap, and hopefully just enough fire power. I'm not sure if a .380 would stop a mountain lion, but I would rather go down shooting than playing dead. I just feel safer out there with the P3, plus a small gun could come in handy in a lost in the woods survival situation. Now I just need to get good enough with it to kill a rabbit.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Ridemoforide said:
Thanks for all the replies. I started out wanting a camping/survival gun. Something that I could throw into my back pac, fanny pac, camel bak, ect and leave it there. I do alot of mountain biking and hiking and there are some scary people in the middle of nowhere, not to mention the critters. The P3AT is perfect. small, light, cheap, and hopefully just enough fire power. I'm not sure if a .380 would stop a mountain lion, but I would rather go down shooting than playing dead. I just feel safer out there with the P3, plus a small gun could come in handy in a lost in the woods survival situation. Now I just need to get good enough with it to kill a rabbit.
Try picking up some Hard Cast Buffalo Bore loads at the very least they would probably give a mountain lion a very bad day. Just don't think you would get the penetration needed with a hollow point.

Tom j.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Curt32 said:
[quote author=Ridemoforide link=1208477167/0#9 date=1208669380]Thanks for all the replies. I started out wanting a camping/survival gun. Something that I could throw into my back pac, fanny pac, camel bak, ect and leave it there. I do alot of mountain biking and hiking and there are some scary people in the middle of nowhere, not to mention the critters. The P3AT is perfect. small, light, cheap, and hopefully just enough fire power. I'm not sure if a .380 would stop a mountain lion, but I would rather go down shooting than playing dead. I just feel safer out there with the P3, plus a small gun could come in handy in a lost in the woods survival situation. Now I just need to get good enough with it to kill a rabbit.
Try picking up some Hard Cast Buffalo Bore loads at the very least they would probably give a mountain lion a very bad day. Just don't think you would get the penetration needed with a hollow point.

Tom j.[/quote]

A mountain lion has about the same body mass of a human male so the 380 should be just as effective on the lion as it is on a man. Now a African lion is a different story:)

I've shot many a wild/stray dog with a .22 and most of the shots were one shot one kill. I moved into a trailer park when I was first married almost 30 years ago and my first look at the lot had me facing a pack of dogs living in the trailer next door growling and barking at me. Needless to say I killed every dam one of them shortly after I moved in. They would come at night sometimes and stand my Sheppard down while they ate her food. Some of those dogs were LARGE and the .22 took them straight to the ground. I have all confidence that a .380 with a good HP would stop a mountain lion with one or two shots. The .380 has much better penetration and knock down power then a .22 long rifle.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Well not me these things are hard to bring down but a gas checked Double Tap in HC in 40 S&W would probably get the job done. Now I would take a chance with that load but anything less and I think you would be pushing your luck. Heck I shot a possum with my 380 it put a tremendous hole in him but he just merely waked away, if that cat had a few seconds at ya you could be through. Remenber what Clint Eastwood said feeling lucky...... Say be sure to read the reviews.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=630046

Tom j.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.