p3at ejection distance

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by corvette78, May 9, 2011.

1. corvette78

corvette78 New Member

May 9, 2011
    my only complaint with my p3at is the distance it throws my empty cases, since I reload I need to pick them up at the range. It throws them as far as 25 feet in all directions. My question is does anyone know of a way to control this?

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Low earth orbit is my favorite way to describe the P3at's ejection. ;D

The only thing I've heard of is changinf to heavier recoil springs made by Wolff. I've never tried them so I don't know how much it helps but there is a thread of two in the P3at section you could search for. Just keep in mind that too strong of a spring can hurt the pistol's reliability.

CJ

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    a tent with net curtains ?

BTW welcome to KTOG

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome aboard!

It is the nature of the [little] beast! The only time the P3AT doesn't eject far and wide is when it ejects straight up.  ::)

I haven't tried it yet but I recently bought a small fish net from a pet store. I'm going to try to shape the wire so that I can slip the handle under my archery arm guard and if not catch at least deflect the brass so it lands close to me. It is going to be a Rube Goldberg deal and will probably cause more issues than it solves but it'll be a cheap fun experiment so I'll give it a try.

The tent/batting cage idea, one built out of pvc pipe and netting, is probably a better solution.

Bill K.

5. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Stand under a beach umbrella and it will knock most of them down your shirt.

Then you don't even have to bend over and pick them up.
    Just treat the burns when you get home.

rc

6. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    15# wolf springs. Hasn't hurt the reliability one bit and the brass lands about 10 feet away. 500 rounds and not a single FTF or FTE. Control of the gun is also very much improved.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Have you changed the Wolf springs? I'm frankly surprised they lasted 500 rounds. :-/

8. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I remember seeing a product for this purpose. A net that stood beside the shooter to catch his brass. Sorry, I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it.

9. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    No I haven't. They are still same length as when new and remain unkinked unlike the factory springs. I saw the posts that said the wolf springs didn't last from way back. Maybe they have improved them.