P3AT Drop Test

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by JBB, Nov 3, 2008.

1. JBB

JBB New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Since the vaunted LCP has been recalled for basically the same reason as the SR9, I have to wonder how safe the P3AT is if it is dropped. I carry mine with a round in the chamber and don't want to have to be concerned about it going off if accidentally dropped. I don't think its an issue but I can't help but wonder since the design is much the same.

2. Ape

Ape New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Colorado
    Tough one to test for sure! lol But I admit I was wondering the same thing? Is the LCP firing mechanism designed the same as the KT? Perhaps that's the defining difference??? :-/

3. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Don't drop it is the best answer. I wouldn't carry any handgun with out it being ready to fire including my 1911.
    I don't know if the KT "suffers" from the problem or not. I'm sure one of the gents here will have an answer or you could call KT.
    I carry a 1911 for work, KT for back up & a pocket gun. I am fully comfortable with both as is.
    Norton

4. vwspdshp

vwspdshp New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Unfortunatly enough, I've dropped mine on two occasions, both with loaded chambers and mags, from a hieght of about six feet. It just hit the ground! Scared me the first time, but no problem. I've dropped both p32's I've owned (accidentally) with the same result. When I heard about the LCP recall it really hit home, because I came very close to buying one, and my second P3AT drop would have been the LCP. Not to say they all have the problem, but it's still pretty scary.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    The drop test performed HERE is to determine WHEN the inertia of the firing pin over comes its spring enough to fire a round.  Thus NOTHING to do with the hammer.

6. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    You gotta love that site, so much good information there.

7. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    You gotta love that site, so much good information there.[/quote]

Yeah, props to yzguy for keeping it up after all these years, even after he reduced his involvement on the KT forums. It is an invaluable resource. Same for GoldenLoki. Thanks guys - even if you never see this thread.

8. gunrunner124

gunrunner124 New Member

Jan 31, 2007
    keltec does preliminary testing and then sends them out for independent testing. i assume ruger does their own testing.
    talked to customer service a couple week ago on that subject.

9. iox

iox Guest

Yeah, I defiantly wouldn't drop it. ;)