P3AT Double Action Only???

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by vn6869, Aug 1, 2009.

1. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    The P3AT is described as double action only. Mine must be broken because it is single action only.
    Am I doing something wrong :-?
    I put some snap caps in to break in the trigger. I have to cyle it each time before firing, else it WILL NOT FIRE.
    Now I have several pistols that are single action, AMT BU, CZ52, 1911, etc.. I also have several that are double action, S&W 59, 39, P38, etc.
    With the single actions they must be cocked before fireing, by either the hammer or cycling. The double actions with fire with the pull of the trigger.

Has someone pulled my trigger???

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the P3AT/P32 trigger MUST be reset with the hammer being rotated back with the recoiling slide.

while using snap caps, pulling the slide back a 1/4" should reset the trigger.

3. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    AHHH SOOO, :-[
    guess it would help to stop and read the manual.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    It has been a while since I read my manual, but I'm not sure it makes a direct statement

5. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm a newbie.

I know my AMT is definitely single action.

6. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    The type of action the P-3AT has in my opinion should be called a "semi-double action".

In a "single action" revolver the hammer must be manually fully cocked, then all work the trigger does is drop the hammer.
    Similarly, in a "single action" semi-auto either the shooter manually fully cocks the hammer, or during cycling the slide fully cocks the hammer, then all the work the trigger does is drop the hammer.  An example is a 1911 pistol.

In a "double action" revolver the trigger alone both fully cocks the hammer then drops the hammer.
    Similarly, in a true "double action" semi-auto the trigger alone fully cocks the hammer then drops the hammer. An example the NAA Guardian.

A "semi-double action" revolver is one that can be manually half-cocked then the trigger fully cocks the hammer and then drops the hammer.
    Similarly, in a "semi-double action" semi-auto the slide during cycling semi-cocks the hammer, then the trigger fully cocks the hammer and drops the hammer. An example is the Kel-Tec P-3AT.

Bobo

7. timewrench

timewrench New Member

May 9, 2009
    Why not go double action so you could retry a failure to fire without reracking the slide? Then again I suppose it is almost as quick to rerack and try a fresh round.

Tom

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    if it failed to fire once, why try again :-/

9. timewrench

timewrench New Member

May 9, 2009
    Heat of the moment, confrontation, need to actually use the weapon, click. Pull trigger again as a knee jerk reaction, seen plenty of failure to fire go off on the second attempt. Same senario, rerack the slide, tense moment, sweaty hands, short stroke it. Bad round doesn't eject. Throw pistol at them, hope it doesn't work for them when they pick it up. Just thinking out loud.

Tom