Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a tip for field stripping the P3;

Insert the lighter in the mag well, press up with your pinky and pull the slide back. The lighter will move up and lock the slide back. Eliminates the third hand needed to hold the slide open while you squeeze the grip and remove the assembly pin.

To remove the lighter just push down on the top when you pull the slide back.

Jim, who's wife finally got tired of helping him field strip the P3. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
hummm...never had any problems... ???

i just "un-lock" the assembly pin with empty shell case or plastic bottle cap...right thumb on backstrap & fingers on top of slide...pull back the slide ~1/8" and assembly pin practically falls out...

same with re-installing except no "tools" required...snaps right back in place.

·
Registered
164 Posts
kenzo said:
hummm...never had any problems...  ???

i just "un-lock" the assembly pin with empty shell case or plastic bottle cap...right thumb on backstrap & fingers on top of slide...pull back the slide ~1/8" and assembly pin practically falls out...

same with re-installing except no "tools" required...snaps right back in place.
Same here, I only move it back 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I don't know why I have read some need a third hand, first gen maybe? Good tip, if you do need the third hand!

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I only move the slide back 1/4 inch I can't get a cartridge rim under the head of the pin. If I go to full lock back I can.

If you don't need the temporary slide lock, don't use it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
RAT76 said:
If I only move the slide back 1/4 inch I can't get a cartridge rim under the head of the pin.  If I go to full lock back I can.

If you don't need the temporary slide lock, don't use it.
Now I understand why some need the third hand. No need for your second sentence though, it's Friday, relax. I did say it was a good idea.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
On my newer P-3ATs with the small head A-pin, I use a slightly trimmed Pentel Hi-Polymer eraser, you know the pretty non-abrasive rectangular white ones that turn black when used in a P-3AT :)

Wilson – who’s also known to just rack the slide and hold it open and assembly spring in place with his right hand wrapped around the grip while prying the A- pin out with a screwdriver in his left hand (this will create a blood blister if you let the slide slip ;D )

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wilson said:
Wilson – who’s also known to just rack the slide and hold it open and assembly spring in place with his right hand wrapped around the grip while prying the A- pin out with a screwdriver in his left hand (this will create a blood blister if you let the slide slip ;D )
yup...them lil suckers can bite...figured she was hungry & i wasn't feeding her enough!

...as a matter of fact she didn't like wut i fed her last night(remington umc)...i better be careful! ...i thinks she's just "high maintainance"(gold sabers & gold dots) and i bet she eat DPX's...go figure ;D

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Thanks RAT76 - good tip! ;D

(And nice pics too) ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.