P3AT DAO?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by vtachrn, Oct 23, 2007.

1. vtachrn

vtachrn New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    I just got a new P3AT 2nd Gen today. Its light, and perfect for how I would to carry, if I am out running. I did the fluff and puff and polished the heck out of it with 800 grit. I have to say that it was a little rough out of the box. I oiled the heck out of it.

I put a snap cap in it (Dummy .380) to test the trigger pull.
    It fires great, however I have to cycle the slide to get it to fire again. Is this normal?
    Should it not cock and fire everytime you pull the trigger?

It looks like the hammer has two positions. 1 that is far farward and dependant on the slide to return it to the DOA position before it can be fired again? What gives?

I am new to DAO only types of triggers as I have been packing a Glock and XD for a while.

2. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    Welcome to the forum. What you describe sounds normal. I have a P-32 which has the same action. You don't have to pull it all the way back to reset the hammer. Practicing the trigger pull with a snap cap is a good idea.

buzzsaw

3. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Well, the highly experienced sages on the board will be better able to describe the true nature of the P3AT's action, but I don't think it is a true DAO pistol like the P11. The P11 action is just like a double action revolver - at least in overall effect. The P3AT is sort of quazi-double action in that you have to rack the slide to reset the trigger.

To more directly answer the practical issue of practicing with snap caps, you only have to pull the slide back about 1/4" to reset the trigger. You don't have to eject the snap cap and reload every time. Just pull the slide back a bit till you hear a click. That is the trigger re-setting. At that point you are good to go again with another practice shot.

4. vtachrn

vtachrn New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Thanks for the quick answers!
    I like the people at this forum already!

I was starting feel that I had a poor quality handgun.
    I just pulled the slied back and was able to fire it with the snap cap in place.

On a positive note, My wife can pull the trigger on it with no problem at all.

I will be taking it to the range on friday, and will let you folks know how it performs.

Thanks again!

5. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    If I'm not mistaken, and I do not have a Glock, but aren't Glocks striker fired, where the slide has to also be partially racked to reset the trigger as well? I was googling "second strike" and I hit a ton of pages talking about the Glock's inability to do the "second strike", basically if you pull the trigger, hammer drops, and the round is a dud, you have to either reset the trigger by inching back the slide, or simply rack it out, to pull the trigger again.

I'm not an expert, but this sounds like the same thing with the P3-AT. No fears, I had a moment of "did I just break this??" with my PF-9, which was my first DAO Kel-Tec. It's normal!

6. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
  7. tommy51s

tommy51s New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City
    OK, tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the main purpose of the slide returning the hammer to the standby position, where it is held by the hammer block, is to keep the hammer off the firing pin for safety purposes. The actual cocking and releasing of the hammer is done separately by the trigger bar, which also moves the hammer block out of the way before releasing the hammer. This has a lot of features of DOA.

8. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    I wondered about this myself. I own a Glock, and I’ll be darned if I can figure out how it works much differently than my Kel Tec.
    :-/

9. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    You're right. It also allows for a shorter and/or lighter trigger pull. That's why P-32s, P3-ATs and PF-9s all have a lighter and shorter trigger pull than the original
    P-11/40/357.

PshootR

10. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    Then this is exactly what you are looking for:

http://www.sniperworld.com/glock/

Switch everything to "split" and you can watch the internals of a Glock as it operates.

11. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    The Glock and P-3AT actions are similar in that...
    Slide movement partially cocks them; in the Glock it partially cocks the striker - in the P-3AT it partially cocks the hammer.