p3at da only

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by cookieruffruff, Apr 13, 2009.

1. cookieruffruff

cookieruffruff New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    went shooting today,over a freinds house safe back stop, shooting plastic easter eggs, and other silloute targets. i know the p3at is not a target gun, but it seems like it's shooting 5 to 7 ins. low.... the da trigger takes a bit of getting used to in s/d no problem because b/g should be no more than 10 to 15 ft away, or closer. but any pointers on getting used to da,at further distances. i have f/b oiled/greased, houge handall jr,clip ext. etc etc, ant way to make it a da/sa??????? :(

2. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Nope. These are DAO guns by design. If you will get you some snap caps and "dry fire" your P3 a few hundred times the trigger pull will lighten and smooth out considerably. It will also teach you better trigger control. As you get used to the trigger, you will find that you are much more accurate.

3. jaegan

jaegan New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    The best solution is practice, practice, practice. That having been said, try to find someone who shoots well and have them watch you shoot. There are a lot of little things involved in good trigger control and aiming, and practicing the "wrong" thing doesn't help. The good news is that once you shoot DA well, you can shoot anything well.

4. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Have a friend load your mags for you and slip a snap cap in place of one of the rounds without telling you which one.

Then shoot the mags as normal, when you get to the snap cap it will become obvious if you are anticipating recoil, lunging, twisting ... whatever. Sometimes people are twitching but don't notice because the recoil covers up the mistake.

5. chaos321

chaos321 New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio

Excellent idea. But still use the snap caps at home to work on the trigger pull!

6. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    All DAO guns take some getting used to. When I first got my S&W 642 I was a horrible shot. Concentration and a few hundred rounds downrange improved my shooting a lot.

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Ifin you're just target shooting you can easily stage the trigger on your P3AT which will add to your accuracy. However I personally wouldn't mix in trigger staging with SD practice.

Take care...

8. All guns shot a little diferant. So shot it shot it shot it. Learn the sights and randge and ajust as needed. As you should do with any gun yu plan on using for defence. Shot it a lot. And keep it clean. Lean the gun. After you have shot it a lot, you will learn the piont of the gun and need to aim less.

The "snap cap" info is right on.