P3AT chronograph results

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by forestranger, Jan 31, 2008.

1. forestranger

forestranger Active Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    There's been a bunch of wetpack tests on 380 ammo listed so I just included averages of different rounds chronographed out of my 1st gen P3AT:

Rem. 102 gr. GS....787fps
    Rem. 88 gr. jhp....862
    Fed. 90 gr. Hydrashock....874
    CB 80 gr. DPX.....1020
    WWB 95 gr. fmj...806
    S&B 92 gr. fmj....826

Gotta find some Gold Dot to try but for now it's DPX in my 3AT.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to the P3AT forum of KTOG. Thanks for the post

3. forestranger

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    :)Thanks a bunch. Been reading and benefiting greatly from forum for several years. Finally got motivated to get onboard.

4. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Thanks for the chrono results.

They tend to prove once again how velocity is not the ultimate answer in a round's performance.

The highest velocity round (DPX) is probably also the best performer in most penetration/expansion tests.

But...
    The second highest velocity round (HydraShok) is not the next best performer in the same penetration/expansion tests -- the SLOWEST round (GS) is the second best.
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1199737660

Bobo

5. forestranger

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Yep. You right based on what I observed. GS penetrated more than DPX at times but didn't expand much. The only round I wet pack tested that expanded every time was the DPX. Main thing was the DPX didn't kick to me as much as GS and I was able to hit where I aimed better. Even though I like to play amateur ballistician, to me the most important thing is hitting the "target". ;)

6. John_W

John_W New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Dang it! You people here are just determined to keep me confused about whether to use GS or DPX, aren't you?! ;D

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Sheepdog - there really is no confusion. Several other ammos out there come close in one category or another, in one test or another, etc. But when you sum them all up, and look at each and every test done in many different ways, the one that consistently outshines in everything I have seen is DPX. The others might be good enough if good enough is good enough, but they are not the best over all.

JMNSHO. And why I DPX, DPX, AEFMJ, DPX, AEFMJ, DPX, AEFJM, DPX

-Scott

8. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Better is the mortal enemy of Good Enough.

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Better is the mortal enemy of Good Enough.[/quote]

And best kicks better's butt everytime! :)

-Scott

10. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Ha! This is great!

I just posted to your chrono thread in the PF9 section that I'd be interested in seeing your P3AT results.

Thanks for sharing!