P3At belt clip

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by spfg45, Nov 21, 2008.

1. spfg45

spfg45 New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    ok, I am new to this forum and I carry my little friend almost everyday with the belt clip what are everyones feelings about this I have found it to be very concealable

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG

3. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    Get yourself a holster.  The belt clip is plain dangerous in my book.

Here's mine.  Galco U.S.A. model # 404 IWB in horsehide.

[​IMG]

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Since you asked, a lot of folks do use the belt clip for various applications. Others are more comfortable with the gun in a holster that covers the trigger. I am in that camp.

5. ctlover

ctlover New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I am also new to the forum and this is my first reply although I have been reading these posts for a long time. I agree with pedro in that I think carry your friend with a round in the chamber not in a holster that covers the trigger is a dangerous situation. Carry in a holster, better safe than sorry.

6. Iexpedite08

Iexpedite08 New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    I have yet to decide what type of holster I want to use. I decided that I wouldn't carry one in the pipe until I had a proper holster. Someone on this site posted a message about how he carried using a clip with a snap cap just to make sure there weren't going to be any problems. He went all day and while at home he heard the sound of his gun going off in his pocket. I don't believe it was a P3AT but I think the risk is too great.

7. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Many of us carry with just the belt clip, including me. I've never heard of a confirmed incedent of a pistol with just a belt clip actually having an Accidental Discharge. I've been carrying several guns that way for years (with a round chambered) and never had a problem. It's up to you, what do YOU feel safe doing?

YMMV.

Rick

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    That wasn't me. But I did carry mine for a week with the chamber empty to get comfortable. You can visible check the hammer to set if it has dropped.

I would HIGHLY recomended with any new device, there should be a period of close observation to ensure proper function

9. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    In my pocket I use a pocket holster, in my waist band I use the clip alone. I've never had a problem but for the first few weeks I carried it with a snap cap and checked it every day for ND evidence. I'm very comfortable with the clip by itself in places other than my pocket.

As mentioned previously I don't know of any confirmed ND cases with the clip alone but that doesn't mean it isn't within the realm of possibility.

If you ever do experience a real ND please come back and share it with us. ;)

10. I never carry any gun in any manner with the trigger exposed. I had the clip on mine for a very short period of time then took it off.

11. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    mine has both. I use the clip on the outside of the holster when carrying pocket or iwb, and use the clip above the visor when driving.....

that is if I owned any guns

12. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I used a belt clip, until I rered my Ohio Laws book, guns must be holstered, when concealed. (period). I asked a deputy, and he confirmed it. Clips are handy, but make sure you are within the law. Jim <><

13. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Oops, I forgot about that. There are some ares of the country where you MUST use a holster when carrying. I should have mentioned that.

Rick

14. robbiedaman

robbiedaman New Member

May 26, 2008
    i always clip into a desantis super fly pocket holster with the flap off and use the belt clip for iwb carry or just toss it in my pocket, whichever optimizes my comfort and concealment, while still being accessible.

15. NavDoc

NavDoc New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    I have a belt clip on mine and I aslo use a DeSantis Super-Fly pocket holster. It's an upgrade from the famed Nemesis holster.

16. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    I bought my P3at used. It came with a right handed belt clip on it. In as much as I am left handed it was painful to shoot the gun since the rear of the clip cut a divot out of my thumb with every shot.

17. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    love my belt clip, use it daily. carried chambered.

18. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    I just got mine in the mail yesterday, put it on this morning and carried all day with it...a little strange getting used to carrying without a holster, but I believe it to be safe, your pants in a sense become the holster..
    Best, Steve

19. tweed

tweed New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    just my feelings....

DON'T DO IT!!!! :exclamation :exclamation :exclamation

20. ElBoricua

ElBoricua New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    I carry mine with the belt clip and i really like how it conceals with a tucked in shirt. I also have a nemesis pocket holster and ankle rig.