p3at belt clip

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by johnnyb, Jun 8, 2009.

1. johnnyb

johnnyb New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I have just purchase a belt clip for the p3at. what type of loctite do I use to secure the pin? Red or Blue?

2. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    none or blue, certainly not red. you'd have to heat the crap out of it if you ever wanted to remove the screw again.

3. jlwman

jlwman New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    There is one thing to think about before appling locktite to the screws. I've read about quite a few people that didn't like the clip. I've also read about quite a few that did like the clip. The complaint I've read about the clip is that it rubs the hand raw when you're firing the gun. You may want to try the clip before using locktite on the screws.

I will probably try the clip, but I won't locktite it until I figure out if I really like it first.

Just something to keep in mind.

4. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I used the blue on my P3AT and my PF-9. The P3AT isn't as big of a deal but the PF-9 works loose fairly quickly at the range.

5. p3atnewb

p3atnewb New Member

May 25, 2009
    i bought the left handed one for my 3at, thinking i'd carry it SOB or inside a suit coat... it was loose after a couple of mags worth of standard ball ammo, and had rubbed through the skin between my thumb and forefinger. i took the clip off but left the screw pin in, i think it's a little better than the plastic. that said, even w/o the clip, the screw still works itself loose from time to time. maybe you'll have better luck w/ the right hand one.

6. trader_bob01

trader_bob01 New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    I seriously considered a Kel-Tec belt clip but didn't like how the clip felt when firing the P3AT. After searching around I found an alternative clip and have been perfectly content both carrying and shooting the P3AT. The clip is the Small Universal Sleeve from CovertCarrier. I trimmed the sleeve down a bit to make it fit properly, bent the clip a little so it will follow the contour of the handle, and did a little filing on the clip itself to soften the edges. The other thing I like about this clip is that if I want to carry the P3AT in my holster, I can do so without removing the clip. I'd add pictures but after reading the instructions, still can't figure it out.  That is probably why I never read instructions anyway. 

http://www.covertcarrier.com/id1.html

7. Dugger

Dugger New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    I used the blue loctite on mine, I find it works well and will still fit in the wallet holster or the belt slide, I don't shoot it alot so the rubbing on the finger I have not noticed, it is a right hand clip.

8. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Nice find, thanks for the link.    :)

Never seen this one before, I like it. Looks like it kills 2 birds with one stone: grip sleeve like a Hogue and a clip built in. I may order one and try it out for my 3AT.

Rick

9. morganfd9

morganfd9 Guest

I woulden't use either one. If, for some reason you ever had to remove it, it would be a problem. I always just kept the allen wrench in the case when going to range, if it loosens up after a few rounds, simply tighten it back up.

10. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I use the blue on mine. Like some of the other guys said, the first time I shot my gun with the belt clip on it, it chewed up my hand pretty good. After it healed up, it hasn't done that again. Just gotta toughen that part of the hand up before shooting a ton with it on there.

11. trader_bob01

trader_bob01 New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    I just don't like to permanently alter my firearms or make them need even more maintanence, so this is what worked for me. Here are a couple of Pics. I'd have made them smaller but . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. canoeswamo

canoeswamo New Member

Nov 21, 2006
    North Augusta, SC
    A dab of finger nail polish is sufficient to keep the clip from working loose. One could even use a drop of white glue. I've used both (not at the same time), and have had no problem removing the clip when necessary.

I've had no problem with the clip rubbing on my hand.

13. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I would never use a belt clip. How are you going to protect the trigger? I always carry one in the chamber. There is no safety. Ask Plexico Burris about sticking a gun in your pants without a holster. It is even illegal to carry without a holster in some states, so I've been told. The gun shop owner where I bought my P3AT was trying to sell me a clip. He was demonstrating how to use it and dropped the gun down his pant leg. That did it for me!

Craig

14. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Since I've put mine on (using red) I've shot 9 magazines with no problems. I bought the belt clip specifically for the inside pockets of my spring and fall jackets.
    Now I'm just waiting for spring and fall! ;D

15. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I've taken mine loose several times on both my PF-9 and P3AT for cleaning, etc. The Blue Loctite has not been a problem. I wouldn't personally use the red but I know some who have but the Blue come loose without too much effort.

16. backtrack

backtrack Guest

I don't own a p3at, but on my p11 I use Hot Glue in the pin holes. The screws do not back out. Applying heat from a hair dryer they can be removed easily.  :)

17. AirbornePayne

AirbornePayne New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I've carried my P3AT for a year by belt clip without a problem(no Locktite). My state law allows clips and "hip-grips."

I suppose someone could make it discharge, IF THEY JAB A DOWEL ROD IN MY CROTCH. ;D ;D :D ;)

Sounds to me like your demonstrator had a problem with the safety between his ears...  Burress had the same mental safety problem too.  He was packing in NYC, wearing SWEATPANTS w/ no holster OR CLIP and supposedly caught his Glock sliding down his leg by the trigger well, depressing the trigger.

18. liltoy

liltoy New Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Holy crap... $43.00! I will just tuck it in the pocket. It looks very cool but that is 25% of the gun cost.

19. BrazosJoe

BrazosJoe New Member

May 4, 2011
    I pretty much had the same luck you did. I also left in the screw because I thought it was better construction, no problems with it so far and I dont regret trying the clip but I like shooting better without it.