P3AT barrel?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by pocketauto, Apr 27, 2008.

1. pocketauto

pocketauto New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Hi,
    After much ado I finally got logged on to Ktog. Yesterday I bought 3 new Kel-Tecs. a P11, P3AT, amd P32.
    all 3 work great but the barrel on the P3AT has really crappy machining on the inside. Will Keltec take care of this?

2. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Welcome and congrats on getting the new guns! Some people only buy one, get addicted, and then buy a few more. You went straight to step three. Good for you! Do whatever you want, but I would call KT tomorrow and explain the situtation to them and get their opinion on it. KT's customer service is most excellent and they will do whatever it takes to make things right with your guns, no matter what. It's getting hard to find service like that anymore these days. Maybe you could post some pics or go into more detail as to the nature of the problem. Are there burs inside the barrel or something of that nature?

3. pocketauto

pocketauto New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    It's like the rifling is very shallow and there are concentric rings cut in the metal all the way down the inside. that's the only way i can explain it. i can't take a picture of the inside of the barrel.
    I was hoping Keltec will send me a new barrel in exchange so i don't have to ship the whole gun out.
    Also the mag on the P11 rattles when loaded.
    Thanks, Toni

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Welcome Toni - we need more of your type around here.  Both the "F" variety AND someone who jumps in with both feet!!!!!  

KT may send you a barrel to swap but don't necessarily count on it.  They tend to try and do at least a little bit of hand matching to barrels and slides.  I don't know how much difference that makes but they say they do it.  

And the P11 rattle is somewhat normal.  There are some threads about it and fixes that generally involve putting a slight bend in the spring.  Different threads seem to have different opinions as to where and how the bend should be.  When/If I ever carried mine I never heard the rattle once it was in its holster.  And it never bothered me when firing it   ;D

Again - [​IMG]

-Scott

5. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Hi Toni and welcome. Although I have had no problems with my P3AT I did have a barrel problem when I converted my PF9 from Blue to Hard Chrome. The new barrel started to keyhole and the rounds seemed to hit the target sideways. I called KT and they thought there was a problem with the rifling or that the grooves were not cut deep enough to stabilize the bullet. They sent me a new barrel UPS overnight with pre paid return shipping to send the defective barrel back . That solved the problem.

PS... Three Kt's in one shot, way to go.

6. Chuck-Baby

Chuck-Baby New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Way to go, getting three new guns on one trip to the candy store. An old retired school teacher has to save his bubble gum money for a long time to get one. I have had my P3AT for 7 months now and it is a member of the family.

Happy shooting.

CB

7. Welcome to KTOG Toni!

A woman that buys three guns at one time, I don't know how to respond but ask...

Are you looking for a creepy old guy that shares your interest? :D

But seriously... KT has great service.. as others noted..... report more details, see how it shoots, maybe call KT SERVICE (call .. no email) and see what they say.

[​IMG]

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Hey Toni - Welcome! :cool:

I'm glad you made it over here. I must say, these barrels are fairly thin and light weight. None of them have very deep rifling. However, if it looks bad compared to the P32 and functions poorly, call KT service. They will fix you up.

9. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    A good squeeze on the mag somewhere between the 8th and 9th round with a pair of pliers will fix that. Just don't squeeze too hard all at once because you run the risk of splitting the mag wall. Squeeze and shake, squeeze and shake. Eventually the problem will go away.

The rifling isn't all that deep with every KT pistol I have ever looked at. Mine are accurate well beyond the ranges they were designed for so it must not affect them too much :-/

10. pocketauto

pocketauto New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Hi,
    Thanks everybody for the nice welcome. Yes, I bought 3 . Colt refunded my money on a lemon and i decided i would rather have 3 keltecs than maybe another lemon. ;)

The 380 is keyholing the target and is inaccurate. Lord, I hope Keltec will send me out a new barrel for my old one.
    Yes, there is definitely a problem with the bore of the barrel but the little bugger still goes bang every time i pull the trigger no matter what i feed it.
    Thanks again,
    Toni

11. pocketauto

pocketauto New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Well, it's off to Keltec today. they told me to send the slide and the barrel. She said maybe a couple of weeks for parts replacement. i sure hope so.
    Toni

12. Shootist

Shootist New Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Just purchased a 2nd P3AT a few days ago and it has cutter chattering in the barrel.
    Guess it's time to call the company.

Dennis

13. pocketauto

pocketauto New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    I think they know they have a problem because the tech i spoke to said she didn't read my enclosed note...just took my word for it over the phone!! the new barrel is nothing to write home about.
    the p3at works great now it's just a quality control thing and/or crappy machining. shouldn't buy 3 new guns and have issues with all 3 right off the bat. eh?  :-*

14. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

1.  Keep the LCP crap out of this forum.
    2.  In short order, I could show you a hundred posts with LCP problems that should not have occurred given the major advantage that Ruger had.
    3.  Here's an example of the fine fit and finish on one LCP barrel.  I have seen others.

[​IMG]

15. Shootist

Shootist New Member

Aug 3, 2008
    There are only 16 digits difference in the serial numbers of my two pistols.
    The 1st is a champ the 2nd had the barrel problem.
    I spoke with the company, they were more than pleasant to deal with and
    the barrel has been returned fore replacement.

Dennis

16. Shootist

Shootist New Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Guess I need to proofread before posting.

There are only 16 digits difference in the serial numbers of my two pistols.
    The 1st is a champ the 2nd had the barrel problem.
    I spoke with the company, they were more than pleasant to deal with and
    the barrel has been returned for replacement.

Dennis

17. pocketauto

pocketauto New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Sorry if i POd anybody. didn't mean to. just stating my experiences with the 4 guns i bought. your experiences are probably different. i got tired of returning guns for service is all. i'll stop posting as i might say something out of line again and not mean it.
    safe shooting all

18. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Ya know, I own Rugers. I also have P3s that function flawlessly. Do you think for a minute that I'd go to the Ruger forum, find a thread where someone has an issue with an LCP (there are many), and post about how wonderful my Kel-tecs are? No, I would not because it would be rude to do that in the Ruger House. I expect us to be extended the same courtesy here. Actually, since Kel-tec did not rip off Ruger's design, I'd say that goes double.

Post about Rugers all you like... in the OTHER GUNS Forum.