P3AT back from Kel Tec after repairs

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by zilch57, Nov 5, 2008.

1. zilch57

zilch57 New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    I just got my p3 back from Kel Tec after repairs for light strikes.
    They replaced the entire slide (ejector , firing pin, etc), barrel, and springs. Now when I pull the slide back it takes 2 men and a boy to do it. I'm no 98 lb weakling but it's really difficult to do. Has anyone out there that has the same problem. By the way it still shoots like it should.

2. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Zilch,
    got my P3 used, and no problem racking, so I don't know if if that's normal. I just got a new PF-9 a few weeks ago, and pretty easy to rack. I'll be interested to see what others say. Welcome to KTOG. Enjoy your new little friend. Let us know how it works out.

3. Welcome to KTOG Zilch.

Follow the links here and try the fluff and buff as instructed:

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep.htm

After the fluff and buff- and if properly lubed- any  P3AT can be racked- with a fully packed mag.....as lightly and sweetly as mine!

[​IMG]

Another tip.....grasp the grip in your strong hand....go over the top of the slide with the weak hand....getting a good grip over most of the slide......and push the gun away from you with the strong hand.

Some - including me.....do not like the idea of having their hand over the ejection port.

4. 99ncxj

99ncxj New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    if its that hard something isn't right. i can do mine with 2 fingers gripping the slide.

5. zilch57

zilch57 New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    I guess I didn't post enough information. My P3 is fired at least 20 rounds about 45 times a year. I'm retired and have an annual pass to our local range. This problem didn't occur until it came back from Kel Tec after repairs. This was the second trip home. The first one was the spring protruding from the slide and the second one was for light strikes . Previous to this I had no problems with racking the slide. Also I'm not a stranger to weapons, 20 yrs in the military.

6. cbreez99

cbreez99 New Member

Aug 18, 2008
    I agree with the hard pulling slide...my fiancee won't do it because she's afraid. I am a big guy, and it's always been a stiff pull. That video is amazing. If mine worked that easy I would be very happy.

7. zilch57

zilch57 New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    I just talked to Kel Tec service department and they said there is nothing they can do for me. The tech said its probably tight because its a new slide. Well when I remove the recoil springs and guide the slide moves like it's on glass - no drag at all.
    I believe that the recoil springs are the wrong one(s) so my next step it to order new recoil springs and see if that cures the problem. This is really frustrating !!!!!

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    It might help to see if you can meet up with another KTOGer somewhere and jointly check it out. It's hard to say what one man's "really hard" is compared to another. I have had people tell me theirs were almost impossible to rack and I had not problem with them - they were about like all the ones I had at the time. It all depends on what you are used to I guess.

I don't know what wrong springs could be in there but if you don't seat the guide rod head in the right place that could cause some binding. But trying a new set of springs never hurts either.

-Scott

9. [highlight]Have you done the fluff and buff on the returned slide?[/highlight]

If not ...........try it.

If you do the F&B and that does not work......then:

Re-assemble with everthing except the springs and see how that goes.

If it slides fine without the springs........then add the inner spring and see how it racks.

If it racks fine with the inner spring and the giude-----add the outer spring and see how it goes.

I dunno......these little guns are not that complicated........seems a bit of try this and try that would sort it out.

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    1) when you had just the slide on, did you pull the slide all the way back? I was thinking it could be the hammer face with the center of the inside slide. the end of the slide needs just a little radius or else the mechanacial (dis) advantage is pretty great pulling over the hammer.

2) IF THOSE ARE STRONGER SPRINGS, I'LL BUY THEM FROM YOU. (most here would also). It has been an ongoing search to find a spring with even a couple pounds more force than the original ones. to be any stronger, they need to be bigger and there is no extra room

11. sirlancelot

sirlancelot New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    how long did it take to come back ?

mine has always been stiff. just thought that was the way it was.

girlfriend heard me rack it over the phone :)

12. zilch57

zilch57 New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    I did do a fluff and buff on the slide as well as the new barrel. Also I tried racking the slide with only the inner spring and it moved easily, then with the outer spring only. It was much stiffer, then back together with both springs. Still stiff - to rack the slide back I have to use my whole left hand on top of the slide to get it racked all the way back. As soon as my new springs arrive I post on how the works. By the way, the turn around time from Tucson to Kel Tec and back was 5 weeks.

13. sirlancelot

sirlancelot New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    . By the way, the turn around time from Tucson to Kel Tec and back was 5 weeks.

thanks. good luck with that.

hope mine comes back in one piece :)

14. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    You have the right springs. There are no stronger springs that will fit in the P3AT. Put a little grease on the slide rails, hammer interface and barrel lugs and go shoot it. Leave a round in the chamber when you put in a fresh mag so you don't have to rack the slide every time. Let the gun do the work for you. After breakin, the springs will take a set and it will loosen up.

15. goodbrewing

goodbrewing New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Is it posible the spring winds are facing the same way and binding in each other? I remember reading something like that in another pest. Good luck.

16. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    have the new springs arrived?

17. zilch57

zilch57 New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Re: P3AT back from Kel Tec after repairs
    Reply #15 - 11/10/08 at 15:21:58 Quote
    have the new springs arrived?

Guess I made a error in judgment (never a mistake), I attempted to order parts via email. It didn't work, never heard from them.
    I called Kel Tec today and ordered the parts over the phone. Probably see them next week. By the way the person I talked to was very helpful and pleasant.

18. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    In hindsight it might be an error, but not really an error on your part. One would not know that email doesn't work very well with KT unless they happened to have read a lot of posts here or actually tried. But now that you have gotten them on the phone you will see parts really quick - they are great once you talk with them! Let us know how it works out.

-Scott

19. zilch57

zilch57 New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Went to the range today - while I was there I checked out a P3 they had on the shelf. I could rack the slide with 2 fingers. Mine still takes my whole hand and have to strain my gut to get it all the way back.
    My nephew who generally goes with me only shot the P3 once, he claims its to hard too shoot and hang on to. Funny  ;Dbecause he shoots a 41 magnum with no problems. (The range no longer allows this caliber or anything bigger anymore).

20. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the offer still stands ;)