P3AT as Primary?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by PackinPastor, Sep 8, 2007.

1. PackinPastor

PackinPastor Guest

For carry purposes I have a Skyy CPX-1 and a P3AT. I like the Skyy (have no problems with the gun or the company as some do, not my point) however there are times when the concealablilty factor of the P3AT works much better for me. Such as on Sunday. I'm a pastor and I pack in the pulipit. (SmartCarry is wonderful for pulpit carry!) My wife is comfortable with the Kel-Tec. When her CCW permit arrives she gets it along with an Armalaser which should be here anyday now.

So here's what I'm thinkin'. If the P3AT is good enough to be the carry of choice some of the time, why not all the time? I'm seriously considering trading the Skyy in on another P3AT and it being the only gun I carry. (With another Armalaser of course.) I know the talk about caliber and stopping power but I would think one could be more proficient with one gun than two or more. I'm not talking about shooting for IDPA matches, just every day, defensive carry.

Thoughts ... anyone ... anyone???

2. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    My P3AT gets carried more than any other gun I own. I would have no issues carrying it all the time.

While we Americans generally like big guns, European's considered the .380 to be a mankiller forever. Sure it may not get to the heart if the bullet has to go thru the perps arm first, but I believe they will know they have been shot.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    For sure there are plenty who would chastise you for not carrying a bigger gun. Pay them no mind. ;)

4. Hutch01

Hutch01 New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    One thing is for sure. If you ever have the unfortunate experience of having to rely on it, you'll never wish you had a less powerful gun! ;)

5. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

The P3 is my primary carry gun. I only carry other sidearms for special circumstances (hiking, hunting, road trips, etc.). Because of this, the P3 is always on me and I've trained accordingly. Since 95%+ of my time is not spent with a larger weapon, I wanted to be comfortable with the gun I chose as my always weapon. While there are many other fine options out there (.38 snubbies, subcompact semi-autos, etc.), the P3 is the only gun I've found that is both small and light enough to carry without substantially changing how I dress yet still has enough punch to do the job it's intended for. Is it perfect? No. But then any handgun is a compromise weapon by design.

6. The_Fall_Guy

The_Fall_Guy New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    I agree, but it might depend on how much time you spend practicing. For concealed carry, I think muscle memory is extremely important. IMHO for CC I think its more of an advantage to be intimate with just one gun.

7. fatman

fatman New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    While the P3AT may be the only gun you carry it will do the job if you carry your primary weapon between your ears. A good defensive mindset is still the best weapon you can have. The P3AT is only a backup gun.

8. exbpo

exbpo New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Lots of strong opinions regarding the .380. But IMHP:
    Rule #1 Have a gun. The P-3AT makes is very easy to always carry.
    Rule #2 Shot placement can make up for a lot of inadequacy in the round you are shooting.
    exbpo

9. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida
    there are no right or wrong answers...only opinions....but i have to agree with fatman using your head is the most important weapon that you can carry.....

10. MikeD

MikeD New Member

Jul 5, 2006
    I used to rely on .380 for a primary/only gun. First was a Walther PPK/s, then not so much after I got my P3ATs. However, both of those have virtually been replaced by my Kahr PM9 as a primary. I still carry the P3AT as a BUG sometimes, but never a primary as the Kahr is just too darned easy to pocket or IWB carry.

11. Jkwas

Jkwas New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    What's the difference between a P3 and a J-frame with SWC's?   The P3 gives you one more shot.  .380 is plenty for daily carry. It's not like I'm guarding an armored car or something.  Sad thing is now that I have the P3, I've got all these other guns that just sit there.  I know someone's going to say " Just send em to me!".   ;D

12. remf

remf New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    If you're guarding an armored car all you have to do is shoot into the asphalt. Any caliber will do! :D

13. PackinPastor

PackinPastor Guest

Just send em to me!  ;D

14. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Only time I carried my 3AT by itself was when I had to be ABSOLUTELY sure I wouldn't be made. Now that I have a PF-9, I have no such worries, and can be confident with a 9mm instead of a .380.

Would I look down on it? Certainly not. ANY gun will do when it's all you have. Your brain is your best weapon anyway. If it's all you can carry, then go for it!

15. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    + 1

16. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I only own one gun - carry it 24/7/365 - it's a P-3AT!

Been thinking for about a year now about getting a high cap .45 for bedside and range use. Probably an XD or 24/7. Not really too serious about it though - I'm very content with my P-3AT.

Bobo

17. MikeD

MikeD New Member

Jul 5, 2006
    As a home defense weapon, I sure would NOT rely solely on a P3AT...even if I had 100 mags pre-loaded. Consider this... You'd rely on a marginally powered (many say underpowered), relatively low capacity CLOSE up weapon against possible multiple home invaders? Also, if they're invading a home that is occupied, then they are hell bent on doing whatever it is they are going to do and will be hard to stop. Then throw in the possibility they're drunk, on meth, whatever...

You can pick up a used shotgun (Mossy 500, etc) for not much money.

18. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    +1 on the shotgun for home defense.

Having just offed a 15lb watermelon with a single 00 buckshot shell in staggeringly dramatic fashion over the weekend, I can tell you that you probably shouldn't have any worries over the stopping power of a shotgun! :eek: (obviously this was not a scientific test, but geez, you should have seen it! it's raining melon!)

Anyway, I carry solely the P3-AT 90 percent of the time, especially in summer. That may seem unwise when you look at it that way (for those who justifiably advocate a more powerful carry weapon) but before I had a P3-AT, I probably only carried for that other 10% of the time anyway. The P3-AT enabled 24/7 carry, and while I'll admit that having 2 high capacity .45 autos might be nicer if I was to actually need them, a single P3-AT certainly beats my previous carry in those situations...a folding knife.

19. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    +1 on the 24/7 P3 nic. If I know I'm going to need a lot more firepower than that, I DON"T GO THERE! That being said weather permiting I carry the P40.

20. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    "weather permitting" is a big part of it! If I can conceal a bigger pistol with a remote degree of comfort, I carry it. Which is why I'm saving my dimes and nickels for a "winter gun" EAA Witness compact in 10mm...12+1 rounds packing 700+ ft/lbs of muzzle energy apiece! Wooooo!

.380acp is still a mean little sucker, and its about as good as it gets out of such a small gun. .32NAA doesn't count! ;)