P3AT and Buffalo Bore 90GR Speer Gold Dot +P

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by krunchnik, Aug 4, 2009.

1. krunchnik

krunchnik New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Does anyone have experiences with this loading,I ordered 2 boxes of Buffalo Bore 90GR Speer Gold Dot +P and was wondering if anyone is familiar with this round,and have you fired +p from a P3AT. :-/

2. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    That's what I like to use in mine - highest energy available - exceeds the 38 special +P from DoubleTap. May make FTE more likely though - depending on your grip technique. Also, Speer stopped shipping GoldDots to vendors like BB for several months (use the Search feature above to see specifics). Let us know if yours actually have Gold Dots when you get them in.

Here are some examples of 380 GoldDots - 3 different brands. Notice the lead bits sitting between the copper bits all along the very edge of the hollow point. The brand X they have been shipping for months doesn't have that obviously visible feature - nor the stellar reputation of the Gold Dot. Ok for range practice, but I wouldn't carry them for SD...
    [​IMG]

3. krunchnik

krunchnik New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Very top one almost looks like a Winchester Silvertip.

4. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    That's the BB "hard cast" lead bullet. Exactly the same energy as the GD - beats up the P3AT more, and breaks into pieces in the target severely degrading penetration depth.

If you get yours in and find they are not GoldDots, please write or call BB and complain. If they get enough feedback, maybe they'll go back to GoldDots when they become available again. IMHO, it is BB fault, not the vendor you bought from, because BB changed the ammo without changing the part number they go by.

5. krunchnik

krunchnik New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I will do just that,I should have the order by Friday,I will let you know if they are truly GD or not,also you mentioned some possible FTE's did you experience problems.

6. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Yes, I did see a notable increase in FTEs - until I learned how to "lock my wrist". Do a search to find some good explanations on that technique. I can't explain it - just know what it feels like when it's right. On the other hand, you may have no trouble at all - but I would highly recommend that you shoot a box of it so that you know for sure if it will work FOR YOU in YOUR GUN.

7. krunchnik

krunchnik New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Yessir I will do that,I also know what you mean about the limp wrist syndrome,I experienced it with the first 2 magazines I fired thru the pistol,FTF's for the first 2 mags,I locked my wrist and poof next 6 or 7 mags no problem.I think when a fellow is used to shooting the large semi autos limp wristing is not so much a problem.

8. JoeBob

JoeBob New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    My BB Gold Dots have quite a bit of punch, and function really well in my P3AT!

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Actually, that is a very common misperception.  Not to nitpick, but in the interest of accuracy the opposite is far more likely to be true.  Large, heavy semis with heavy slides are not susceptible to limpwristing.  Essentially, they are easy to shoot.  It's the ultra-light gun with the very light slide and a stiff power to weight ratio that is easily limpwristed.  That pretty much defines P3ATs and PF9s.  No amount of shooting conventional pistols prepares you for this.  Some folks have no problem - some do.  The proper technique is to stiffen the wrist and bend at the elbows.  Because it is so light, you must backup the recoiling slide and give it proper support or it is robbed of momentum which can result in a misfeed.

10. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Actually, that is a very common misperception.  Not to nitpick, but in the interest of accuracy the opposite is far more likely to be true.  Large, heavy semis with heavy slides are not susceptible to limpwristing.  Essentially, they are easy to shoot.  It's the ultra-light gun with the very light slide and a stiff power to weight ratio that is easily limpwristed.  That pretty much defines P3ATs and PF9s.  [highlight]No amount of shooting conventional pistols prepares you for this. Some folks have no problem - some do. The proper technique is to stiffen the wrist and bend at the elbows. [/highlight]Because it is so light, you must backup the recoiling slide and give it proper support or it is robbed of momentum which can result in a misfeed.
    [/quote]

A big +1

11. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I was testing some carry ammo in my P3AT and I had a serious falure of the weapon.
    I was shooting a mix of BB Gold dots (old stock) DPX and AE FMJ's.
    The trigger just went slack in the middle of shooting a magazine, the AE's IIRC, it wouldn't fire at all. I am about to replace the trigger and trigger pin as that's my best guess on what caused the falure. I have shot the AE several times before so I wonder if the "hot" nature of the BB shook the trigger pin out of place.

I don't want to hijack, just point out how important it is to test your carry ammo. I would shoot atleast one full box of the ammo before I carry it.

CJ

12. krunchnik

krunchnik New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I think I did not state the limpwrist correctly,what I meant to say is the large semi autos are not as susceptable to the misshandling,wheras the smaller pistols are a lot pickier,sorry about the mixup. ;D

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Ha! You're right. Now that you mention it, and reread the quote, I see what you meant. It could be interpreted either way. Anyhow, I just made the clarification for anyone out there who was unaware. I see now that you are not among that group. Limpwristing is a real issue for some folks and it cause them to think their gun is screwed up when it isn't. That's not to say the these guns are flawless, but their is a technique to shooting them that you don't get from shooting a Glock...

OK, so much for the hijack. I've never tried BBGD. I stocked up on Corbon DPX a couple of years back. I don't think that CDPX can be beaten for this gun and caliber but I do think there are a couple that may be equal. BBGD should be a contender.

14. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Why would you want to shoot such hot ammo in a P3AT? :-?

This is a light pistol for that kind of beating, IMHO.

There are plenty of fine, SAAMI ammo manufacturers out there. Winchester, Federal, Rem, Corbon, Hornaday, to name a few.

I tend to stick to the big names for my small guns.

For MY handloads, I try to keep it to the lightest load that will function the gun, semi's have such a small range of power needed to properly function, shooting at the upper limits just beats the gun up unnecesarily IMHO.

15. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Excellent point, and I agree. I'm just sensitive to feeling "underpowered" because I'm accustomed to carrying a 357 magnum in cooler months. Best overall round I've seen for the P3AT is Federal HydraShok - for reliability and accuracy. "Power" is actually low on the list of things to get right, but at least it's in the top 5 on my list...

1. exercise good judgement - hopefully
    2. have it with you - check
    3. reliability - practice, gun care
    4. shot placement - practice, site system
    5. proven effectiveness - bullet design, power

Choosing BB for #5 means you're giving up some #3 and #4. But I think those losses can be regained with extra work.[​IMG]

16. krunchnik

krunchnik New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Actually I would prefer to get my hands on either Golden sabers or the HydraShock,but in my area .380ACP personal defense rounds are non existant,Sooo I have to use what I can find.I hope this ammo supply problem ends sometime soon.I do appreciate all the input. :) :)

17. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
  18. krunchnik

krunchnik New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Just an update for this thread,the BB is loading something other than Gold Dots,I believe they are Sierra bullets in 90 GR.