P3AT and an LCP

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Nexttime, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Nexttime

Nexttime New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I've had my P3AT for a while now and I pretty much carry it every day as a backup to my 1911 or PPS. Went to the range today and put a couple of magazines through it. It's been a few months since I fired it. Worked great as usual, no functional problems.

As I was getting ready to leave I bumped into someone who had just bought an LCP with an CT laser and he was sighting it in. I asked him if I could try it if I used my own ammo. (.380 can be hard to find around here. :) )

My initial impression is that the recoil is pretty much the same as the P3AT. The grip feels the same. The only difference that I can see is that the P3AT tends to cause tiny abrasions/cuts on the top/nail side of my trigger finger after each shot and the LCP doesn't. The key difference seems to be the larger space in the trigger guard on the LCP.

For practice I always put a small band-aid on my finger and accept that in a SD situation I'll probably be ok with the P3AT. I didn't have that problem with the LCP. Now I am considering switching over to the LCP.

Haven't decided what action I will take yet. Anyways, just wanted to share my experience.

2. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    The LCP probably has slightly better ergonomics, since it is a later designed based on the P3AT. However, the differences are small, and in my opinion, not worth changing my first generation P3AT for. In fact, I like the flatter profile of the Kel Tec better for pocket carry of this little gem. (should note I have the P3AT and for comparison, have fired my daughters LCP) I have not had any problem with the little gun hitting my finger like that, though I do have that problem when practicing with my PF9, and like you, use a bandaid. My first generation has never missed a beat, which is more than I can say for the LCP, at least initially since the LCP had to have a more extensive break-in period, and then was recalled to boot. Now it is good to go but I will stick with Kel Tec. Either gun is an excellent choice however and you won't go wrong either way.

Jim R

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Rather than instantly releasing the trigger as the gun is recoiling, hold it down a split second longer.  ;)

4. Jaxdave

Jaxdave New Member

Mar 29, 2010
    I own both guns. My LCP is a recent model, so none of the recall stuff to worry about. The LCP does have a larger trigger area. The fit and finish of the LCP is far superior to the P3AT, but I don't purchase firearms soley on that. My P3AT is still NIB (wife is still waffling over CCW because of her job) so I cannot compare the performance.

5. uncledub

uncledub Member Supporter

Feb 16, 2009
    Alabama, USA
    It seems to me that the Ruger, the Diamond Back, and the I.O. Inc 380s are copies of the Kel Tec P3AT.  If the P3AT is good enough to copy, why would I buy a copy when I can still get the original bench mark?  Just my opinion. ;)

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    IIRC, the Diamondback is a striker fired gun that looks more like a little Glock or something.  All the other Johnny-come-lately 380 pocket guns seem to be of that particular company's design.  Yes, it is universally known that the Ruger Little Copied Pistol is a shamless carbon copy ripoff of the P3AT.  It is not just the exterior likeness either.  The parts breakdown tells the shameful tale.   :(

[​IMG]

It's kind of like Mack Trucks suddenly started making a little car and called it the Insect.  :)  

[​IMG]

7. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    The only pain I feel when I shoot my P3AT is because of my whole hand not fitting on the grip.

No finger issues.

Works great for me!

8. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Make sure you sand the inside of the trigger guard to remove the mold line. This simple act may help stop cuts/abrasion to your finger.

9. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    What!?  I thought that LCP stood for Lame Carry Pistol, now I find out differently, Oh well ;D

Best Wishes :cool:

10. MirageES

MirageES New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    I have, and carry, both, and IMO the Ruger is the better of the two by a slight margin. (ducks from the stuff thrown at me ;D)

The fit and finish is better, and it is a lot more comfortable to shoot because of the grip. I also like that you can manually lock the slide back. Just my opinion.

--David

11. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I own both, and I carry the P3AT, I feel it is more reliable and I trust it more, besides, I would hate to wear some of the pretty off of the LCP...

12. D50boy

D50boy New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Pretty much what he said.  My brother purchased an LCP and we went out shooting this past weekend.  I do like the fit and finish of the LCP- it's a looker for sure. The tolerances were a bit high though.  My brother had trouble getting the thing loaded.  Slingshotting the slide didnt help the bullets from hanging on the ramp.  "Sights" were worse than the P3AT!  He'll need to put several more boxes of crap ammo through it to get it broken in.  My ugly loose little Keltec performed perfectly as he had to stop every magazine to mess with his pistol. Sure I can see daylight through the side, but it goes bang every time.  :p

13. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    I too own both. Bought to LCP with CT while my P-3AT was being repaired (replaced) by Kel-Tec for an assembly pin problem. I still nearly always carry the 3AT and not the LCP but I think it is actually because of the laser. I do not like that the CT activates when I draw the gun, and sometimes I find the laser more of a hinderance than a help.

I have considered selling the CT laser and using the LCP as a second --- no sight, point and shoot --- gun which is how I use the 3AT. It rarely if ever comes up to eye level prior to firing, never gets "sighted" and is not expected to hit anything beyond about 15 feet because that is what it is made for.

I see people trying to use the 3AT or the LCP as "taget" pistols, taking careful aim at 25 yards.

If you are in a 25 yard self defense situation, the answer is easy ... RUN, why would you ever shoot it out at that distance, and you NEVER move closer. I practice the 3AT mostly shooting flexed right arm about mid body (stomach height) after drawing from right front pocket (carried in www.pocketholsters.com holster), with left arm in defensive position in front of face, palm inward (so if you get cut it is not in a major artery like the wrist) at about seven to ten feet (holdup distance).

Opps, sorry I strayed off subject.

14. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    Own and shoot both, but carry the P-3AT.  I do like the slide lock on my LCP.   :cool:

15. tx-rvr

tx-rvr Active Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Abilene Texas
    I own both. I carry the P3AT with a 32NAA conversion on it. The LCP is a safe queen. I never had any trouble with either gun. I just like the 32NAA right now. I bought the first LCP that came into the store at Academy. It is an early model and I did not send it in for the recall. A coworker will trade a later production LCP for my unmodified one at anytime I am willing. He has shot both guns and my gun has a much better trigger. ::) ::) ::)

Steve

16. htt

htt New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Have never shot a LCP but I tried the trigger on one in a gun shop and thought my P3AT had a much better trigger so I'll stick with what I consider the best pocket gun built at this time. :)