P3AT Ammo

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by keystoneman, Aug 25, 2009.

1. keystoneman

keystoneman New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I've made the decision to keep my P3AT - can anyone suggest a carry ammo for it? At the moment my P3AT has maybe 100 rounds through it both WWB and Federal and its been pretty much flawless. Suggestions on some carry ammo I can try out and what grain 90?

2. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Everyone has their favorites, mine is Hornady Critical Defense, (supposedly designed with this weapon in mind), my previous carry ammo was Rem Golden Sabres. Several more quality mfg. out there, but I have not experienced them, so will not expound. Jim <><

3. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I have tried Corbon DPX, Critical Defense, Buffalo bore JHP they all shot well in my P3.
    I think the DPX is a good mix of energy, expansion, penetration and recoil. It was also developed by Corbon using a pair of P3ATs, so it was kind of "made" for the P3.

Check out GL's gel tests he is working on for some more info.
    http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/380acp/gel380acp.htm

Whatever you decide just make sure you test it in you'r P3.

CJ

4. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    What CJP said.

My 3AT works 100 percent with DPX. But get whatever you like, and make sure you test it before carry. Good luck!

5. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    +1 on what CJR32 said.

I personally carry DPX and Hornady Critical Defense.

6. WesKCMO

WesKCMO New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I like the Corbon DPX rounds personally... If I cant find those.. Federal Hydroshock always seems to do the job decent.

7. keystoneman

keystoneman New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Thanks gents, that will give me a few boxes to try. I know my local guy has the Federal and the Hornady in stock.

8. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    And just where might that be . . . :eek:

9. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
  10. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Looks suspiciously like the CorBon DPX - which I like very much. ;D

It seems the ammo makers are finally getting into much improved bullet design. :cool:

11. keystoneman

keystoneman New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    In Lancaster, Pa ... if your anywhere close I can always give better directions. LOL

12. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    In that same order, the best feeding for the KelTec 380 also.

13. foothills

foothills New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I switched from Hornady CD to Golden Sabres -- seem to work better for me. I've had better reliability and accuracy with the Golden Sabres.

14. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Not to argue, but...  ;)

Really, I'm making a serious inquiry: Isn't that a very hot round to be putting through a little P3AT? Darn nice expansion, though!

15. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    Not to argue, but...  ;)

Really, I'm making a serious inquiry: Isn't that a very hot round to be putting through a little P3AT? Darn nice expansion, though!

[/quote]

It may be considered a hot round by some, but for me it's my carry round. I've fired enough of it through my P3AT to know that it cycles reliably and doesn't produce too much recoil for follow up shots. The best advice I can give is to carry whatever you can afford to shot and what your gun will feed 100% of the time.

16. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    I just looked it up, and the regular Cor Bon JHP 90 gr that I use are 950 fps, so... not that much of a difference. It just seems hot to me, though I must admit I don't know an awful lot about ballistics.  :-/