P3at ammo

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by 0331, Feb 26, 2010.

1. 0331

0331 New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I use a p3at and carry it daily as a ccw so i tried to find some reliable ammo for it. I chose cor-bon dpx ammo witch is 80gr. 1050fps and it will not function properly in my hand gun. does anybody have a sugestion how i can fix this problem. mabey a stiffer spring in the mag and slide.

2. forestranger

forestranger Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    I polished ramp and chamber on my old 1st gen p3at. It feeds DPX fine but you have to "slingshot" the slide to chamber 1st rd. Polished ramp & chamber and slingshot my only suggestion? Does it jam with them when firing?

3. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I know the old argument about using FMJ for penetration vs JHP for expansion. I have gone with FMJ for penetration and reliability. Mine is 100% with Remington FMJ.

4. FF88

FF88 New Member

Feb 23, 2010
    I also opt for reliability - FMJ has worked for many years - good enough for personal protection

5. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    i haven't found anything that won't work in mine.....it eats it all up.
    but i have never tried the DPX.

I have carried the corbon 90gr jhp//// critical defense //// and gold dots.
    As for fmj rounds....think i've shot em all. never had a problems with any of them.

Might want to try a different round if the dpx isn't working.
    I'm not sure how to fix the dpx problem your having. I think i'd change the round instead of changing the gun.

6. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Agreed. I gave mine a F&B when I first got it and then had to do it again when I switched to Hornady PD ammo. Thought it was an anomaly but apparently Txcajun and others have had to go back repolish feed ramps to get certain types of ammo to work.

That being said, let me also say that P3ATs are as finicky as the day is long. By that, I mean they can be very ammo sensitive so my suggestion FWIW is to polish the feed ramp and see if that works, and if it doesn't go find another kind of ammo that the gun likes and stick with it. Corbon is good ammo but there are others out there that will do just as well, you just need to find one that works for you.

7. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    i have had some problems with hp ammo. not all the time just some feed problems when firing. no matter the brand. but with fmj ammo no problems, no matter what i try or do. so i keep a hydro shock in the pipe and fmj in the mag. best of both worlds.

8. 0331

0331 New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    The weapon fires fine bul it fails to feed what is ment by polishing the ramp

9. forestranger

forestranger Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    I take some very fine grit sandpaper rolled up on a pencil and polish the barrel ramp up and down just like ammo goes up ramp. When it's good and smooth, I take a dremmel with a felt tip covered with jewlers rouge(polishing compound) and lightly finish the polishing. I do the same to chamber. Have done that to all autos I've ever owned, Some needed it more than others. If you don't have a dremmel, the fine sandpaper and pencil will do.

Was gonna add the link to fluff & buff but Lop beat me. :)

10. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Hey 0331,
    Welcome to KTOG. Can I call you 31 for short? At the top of this section is a list of "locked" topics. The 4th one has FAQ's and VIP's. The forth post in that 4th post has this info in it:
    "Goldenloki has a great illustrated F&B and lubrication guide. "
    Goldenloki is one if us, and a great gunsmith. His site with the f&b is here:
    http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm

A fluff and buff is just polishing the gun at wear points. The ramp is the little lip on the barrel that the front of the bullet rides up to get into the chamber. KelTeks dont' have the fanciest finishes, and some times they need a little help. Check out GL's site and holler back if you still have questions.

11. hookinembig

hookinembig New Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Just took my new P3AT to the range for the first time today. I had the same problem with the Corbon DPX but it only happened on the second round for multiple magazines. I cycled 50 PMC Bronze FMJ through it and it did great. Then I tried Remington Express 88 grain JHP and they cycled through fine also.

I did notice that on the DPX bullets the tips of the hollowpoints had a dent in them after I ejected them. I assume I need to polish the feed ramp, however why would it do it only on the second round in the magazine?

Thanks

12. 0331

0331 New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    i talked to a friend of mine at work he is also a gun smith and he also sugested a little buffing and that the corbon ammo is a bit longer in the nose than most and thats the reason its hanging up also i bought a fifteen round clip for the little thing at a gun show this week end. it works well but just bought it for novelty as this makes the gun way to big to conceal and yes "31" is fine

13. wizard92

wizard92 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Florida
    Hornady Critical Defense absolutely no problems.

14. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Just about any FMJ round will feed better than just about any JHP.  Feeding issues are more prominent in a new gun during break-in.  We always recommend that the first 100 - 200 rounds are FMJ.  I wouldn't even try JHP until the gun is broken in, and I would do that on a subsequent range session with a clean, lubed gun.  I think you discovered that yourself based on your experience.  The Rem JHP generally have a smaller opening which makes them feed well, more like a FMJ.  Then again, they usually don't expand a whole lot either and tend to perform more like a FMJ.

In a properly functioning P3AT, Corbon DPX is usually a very good pick. In fact, according to Mike from Corbon, they developed that round almost exclusively using a pair of P3ATs for testing. You might say that round was developed for the P3AT. :cool: