p3at addition

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rsimpson32, Jan 19, 2010.

1. rsimpson32

rsimpson32 New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I am looking to purchase a p3at. I have both read and watched several reviews about the gun online. Therefore, I am pretty sure this is one I would like to add to my collection. However, I would like to hear from some people who have p3at's or have some knowledge to share about the gun. I would like to know what the pros and cons of the gun would be if possible. Any comments would be helpful and thanks to all who post.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    ;)

3. chase

chase New Member

Dec 5, 2007
    And they are reasonably priced too! :)

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned on this forum, for sure it is a very individual thing, but of the several hand guns I have and the many others have tried none have pointed as nice or naturally for me as the P3AT. You know, look at something then close your eyes, draw, aim and then open your eyes to check your sight picture. One of my P3AT has a laser on it so it really tells you right away how good your aim (if you can call it that since you did it with your eyes closed) was. I do by the way have grip pads, grip sleeve and mag extension on my P3ATs.

Great gun choice for deep concealed carry in low threat environments ("only" a 7-8 shot .380 after all).

Take care...

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Of all the semi-autos I've owned, my P3AT is the only one that has never jammed or failed in any way, even during break in---ever. It has fed everything I've fed it from FMJ range fodder (factory and hand loads) to every SD ammo I've tried. It points well, shoots great, is very accurate even with those small sights, and costs less than 3 bills.

With the +1 extension, you get an 8 (7+1) shot gun with energy ratings approaching 38 Special (non +P) energy levels but in a smaller and much lighter package. A revolver is 2 inches wide but the P3AT is less than an inch wide. It disappears in your pants or jacket pocket and will not weigh down a jacket causing it to sag like a 38 Special revolver (even an Air weight) does. 8 shots, or even 7 without the extension, sure beats 5 shots from a 38 Special.

On three different occasions I've had to control myself at my LGS or I would have bought three other P3ATs. I'm not one who buys guns and hies them from my wife. But I've been tempted with the P3AT to do just that. I love this gun so much, I actually talked a a friend into getting the P3AT when he was looking at the LCP. He thanks me every time he takes it to the range. ;)

6. buckeyedave

buckeyedave Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I love mine. I have only about 130 rounds through it but without a jam. It's great for CC, small but packs power. Get the grip extension. If you have large hands I would recommend shooting one first to make sure you like the feel.
    Dave

7. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    My best advice is to just read through this section of the forum until you have a clear picture of the overall consensus. Try the search function to narrow down specific questions.

8. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    The only down side I can even dream up is this hateful ammo shortage. My 3AT has never failed in any way.

Billy

9. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I basically agree. The ammo shortage/price is the only major down side. Two other very minor ones are the TINY sights and the plastic mag catch on these guns. The sights are easily and very very cheaply fixed with a little bit of model car paint (atleast thats my way). The mag catch issue can be overcome by inserting the mag carefully and pressing the release as the mag goes in. A metal release can also be ordered here on the site for around 40 bucks. Other than that, I LOVE this gun. I agree that unless you're pocket carrying, get the grip extension. I like the actual keltec one, but i cut it off at the bottom groove in it because it sticks down and bothers my pinky. Now for the pros. I agree that its the most naturally pointing gun I've ever shot. Obviously it is a very small light weight gun, because of that you can carry it and basically forget its even there. One of the most important factors in my opinion in buying a carry gun is making sure you can carry the gun comfortably enough that you will ALWAYS carry it. Larger guns can be uncomfortable or hard to conceal depending on what you're wearing, I cant think of anything short of a womens bathing suit or a speedo (or an outfit that is equally tight) where this gun couldn't be concealed.

10. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Dang...I just got mine a couple days ago and love it. I did the fluff and buff right away and noticed a reduction in effort to pull the slide back.

With 7 rounds loaded up...it's under 12 oz. Amazing!

11. jim-sks

jim-sks New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    It is the perfect backup (and sometimes primary), for my PT1911. It is my only mouse gun.

12. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I went to the range yesterday and shot my first 100 rounds through it. PMC 90gr fmj.

Flawless! No problems whatsoever. I even shot it majorly limp-wristing and it shot 2 mags worth that way with no problems.

It's a champ and it's in my pocket right now.